Am I ready for the CCNA exam?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by flopstocks, Nov 23, 2007.

1. flopstocks

flopstocks Nibble Poster

I've just completed the voucher exam in CCNA 4 and got 85%, giving me 52% off the final exam. But when I look though the course material there seems to be lots of stuff I need to learn! My tutor said a good score in the voucher exam means your in good shape for the final exam.

Do you think I'm being too picky when looking through the course material?

Certifications: A+, Network+, CCNA, BSc(Hons) Open
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Flopstocks, only you can really gauge your progress on this study material and tell if its time to sit the real exam. However, bear in mind if you don't have real life experience on using cisco kit then its not useful having the cert. Best wishes in your endeavours:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Node

Node Byte Poster

If you have to ask your not ready, simple as.

Certifications: MCSA, MCSE,
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Check if the 'stuff you need to learn' as you say, in your course materials, is on the CCNA exam objectives list. If it is, then no, you're not ready.

I don't agree that asking if you're ready means you're not, as said above - it could just be nerves or a lack of confidence.

Go to Cisco's site and download the objectives, if you don't have them already. If you can't confidently tick off your knowledge of each item on that list, then get back hitting the books. You've obviously got a good grounding, but 52% overall you'll probably want to start fine tuning it.

Let us know how you get on.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Practice, review, practice some more, then take a test sim (Transcender, Boson) then go for it.

I passed the voucher exam a few years back. I felty nowhere near ready enough to take the real thing.

6. flopstocks

flopstocks Nibble Poster

I got 85% in the voucher exam, which entitles me to 52% discount on the exam price :D

7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Aaaaah. Ignore me then, and follow SGUK's adivce instead :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

flopstocks,

Are you planning to take the 640-801 CCNA generation of exams? The 640-801 CCNA generation of exams are: 1) 640-821 INTRO 2) 640-811 ICND and 3) 640-801 CCNA.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  9. flopstocks

flopstocks Nibble Poster

I'm planning to take the 640-801 exam!

A lot a people say it's tough!

10. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

flopstocks,

When reading the "640-801 CCNA" exam outline, does any of it sound like a foreign language? If so, which sections and parts? Be honest with yourself and us.

Source:
    1. 640-801 CCNA - IT Certifications and Career Paths - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-801.html

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  11. Firemouse

Firemouse Bit Poster

The voucher exam is insanley easy and nothing like the real thing. The two prep tests cisco gives with the simulations and such are more closer in line with what the ccna is.

Certifications: CCNA, MCP
    WIP: CCNP
  12. Liqua

Liqua Bit Poster

Not being picky, but I do hope you meant 640-802 ?

The 640-801 exam was retired 6th November and you can only take the new exam which includes new topics like IPv6, wireless, security, and dropped ISDN.

Certifications: CCNA, SND, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CISSP
  13. flopstocks

flopstocks Nibble Poster

There is a lot of confusion about the old 640-801 exam. My Cisco tutor has clearly stated that I am able to take it for another year or so. Not sure what the 6th of November deadline is for?

14. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

If you are a Cisco Academy student you have until (autumn?) 2008 to still sit the 640-801 exam. For everyone else, it is not available, being replaced by 640-802.

640-801 is a difficult exam - I took it in two parts: INTRO I found quite easy, but ICND (which is close to the one-shot 640-801 exam) was really tough.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Thankfully, Cisco has more evenly divided the concepts between the new ICND1 (replacement to INTRO) and ICND2 (replacement to ICND) exams. So for those people who are pursuing the new two-exam CCNA option, you won't have an insanely easy and an insanely difficult exam to deal with. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Liqua

Liqua Bit Poster

The 6th November 2007 was the official last day you could register and take the 640-801 exam - I guess from the other replies that people on the cisco academy are treated as a special case and this deadline is extended to when they finish the 4th semester.

Certifications: CCNA, SND, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CISSP