1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I nuts?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by smiff_50, Sep 1, 2012.

1. smiff_50

smiff_50 Bit Poster

Hi all. To cut a long story short I'm trying to change to a career in IT. I have always wanted to work in IT but as I'm sure everyone will understand sometimes life doesn't go to plan. Anyway I am now in a position to make a career change and I really want to go for an IT job. For whats it's worth I have a HNC in Computing, A-level ICT grade A and I have been self studying for the Comptia A+ which I think I will sit in the next 6 weeks. I'm also about a year away from completing a Bsc in IT with business with the OU. I have a good job and I'm on good money (with at least 2 years customer service experience, face to face and phone) but it just doesn't excite me and as I have 35+ working years left I want to do something I enjoy! I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me. How did you get into IT? Is there anything you know now that you wish you knew when you first started? I am not stupid and know how competitive this field is. I know I will have to take a substantial pay cut and am prepared to start at the bottom and put in the hard yards and study. Anyway thanks for reading!

Certifications: HNC Computing, A Level ICT
  2. SimonV

SimonV Petabyte Poster Administrator

** Moved to Training & Development **

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...