Am I just getting old...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zebulebu, Jul 3, 2007.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

or is TV comedy all shite nowadays? I've just forced myself to sit through 'Touch Me I'm Karen Taylor' after some woman at work raved about it non-bloody stop all day... only to discover that it was pure, unadulterated tripe. Honestly, I thought I'd seen it all with 'Little Miss Jocelyn' but this has to be hands-down the worst 'comedy' show I've ever seen. I laughed ONCE - and that was at a random kid swearing (always funny).

I feel like a right old fart saying this, but where is my licence fee going, exactly? As far as I can make out, in the past three years I've paid for about ten worthwhile documentaries in the 'Horizon' series, Lead Balloon (which I found very funny, even though it was a rip-off of Curb Your Enthusiasm) and... well... I'm struggling to find anything else.

When I think of the TV I've found entertaining in the past five years, sadly, almost all of it is American. Every now and then i discover something new - but it's exclusively American:

Lost, Curb, Scrubs, Prison Break, House, Penn & Teller Bullshit etc. etc.

And am I alone in thinking that Catherine Tate is about as funny as a night spent with a coma victim? Anyone remember the Fast Show from a few years ago - with the 'Colin Hunt' character who comes into work every day and bores everyone witless repeating the stupid catchphrases from some imaginary sketch show that aired the night before? Well, that's exactly how I feel when I hear some stupid sows at work tittering 'Am I bovvered?' or trying to do the rude granny's voice.

NOT.

FUNNY.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Ha ha, hello everyone, I know I've been away a while but I had to get involved in this one

I'm pretty much with you there sir. I look back at the DVD box sets I own (and manky old VHS tapes) and realise there will never be anything like Father Ted, Shooting Stars or Absolutely again. Little Britain I am bored shiteless with now, and I watched an old episode of Bottom the other day (which I used to find hilarious) and put it this way, my 5 year old nephew found it funny.

Some quite recent British stuff I think is genius, but normally they are quite offbeat, like Darkplace, Peepshow, Bo Selecta, Extras and that, but your mainstream Karen Tate, Roman's Empire (WTF was that!!!!) and barring the South African fitness instructor sketch in Ruddy Hell, It's Harry And Paul, are all worthy of pretty much nothing more than bum gravy, IMHO anyway

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  3. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Yeah i prefer some of the older stuff

Red dwarf
    Brittas empire
    Game on

Some of Gervais's stuff is quite funny, and Jimmy Carr is pretty funny 2.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  4. Bambino1506

Peep show is good

That new harry and paul show is terrible, wtf happened to them.

5. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Tell you one thing. If this was WW2 and I was captured by the Germans and they wanted to know all my secrets, all they'll need to do is stick me in front of the Catherine Tate show for 5 minutes and I'll confess everything ! That woman makes me want to rip my fingernails out.

Another one is Big Brother.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Comedy has been shite for years, I dont know why people find Rick Gervais funny I thinks he's a tw**.

I watch shows like 9 out of 10 cats thats quite funny but you cant beat Bottom and Harry Enfield BTW Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse new show wasnt really that good.

So is it that were just gettin past it or is it the comedians?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Bambino1506

Its abysmal :cry:

8. Bambino1506

Mate I watch Big brother everynight (the mrs is a fan, thats my excuse :biggrin ) and everynight i say i can't watch it anymore its annoying me too much !!

Those twins in there laugh every 2 seconds and their vocabulary consists of "OMG" and "oh my god"......thats it. They're all looking in the mirror every 5 seconds and piling on makeup and they look like dogs dinners.

9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I think it is down to the quality of the comedians.

Everyone raves about Jimmy Carr and Ricky Gervais, those two not remotely funny. They both make me cringe.

All the great comedians have long since passed away.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You are all just too grumpy! :) I think Catherine Tate is very funny and also like Ricky Gervais. I don't think they are the best there ever was etc.. but I enjoy their stuff.

I also love many of the older comedy stuff a few of you have listed above. Especially Red Dwarf & Game On. Red Dwarf did go a bit downhill towards the end though.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  11. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I'm not a huge fan of Gervais' stand up but I think he is bloody clever, Office and Extras I personally think we're much needed and unique.

Must admit, I am a Carr fan, I like deadpan humour (Paul Merton being my favourite).

I think in general televised comedy shows have dumbed down a lot, as lets be honest, the general population has (not meaning to sound snobbish, but when some tw@t on big brother the other day thought William Shakespeare was a film director I nearly smashed my house up). It's a lot of shouting and catchphrases and quite base humour. You won't find anything like Rising Damp or Fawlty Towers again

I would gladly fight Roy 'Chubby' Brown though.....

12. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Do absolutely none of you watch Channel 4 or BBC2? Ever?

Here's a little rundown of how I keep myself televisually entertained of an evening. I either watched these and bought them on DVD, or own them on DVD. (the list basically amounts to Talkback Thames)

• QI
    • Never Mind the Buzzcocks (Bill Bailey is a GOD)
    • Green Wing
    • Black Books
    • Spaced
    • The IT Crowd
    • Big Train
    • Smack the Pony

I know a lot of the above aren't on 'terrestrial' any more, but I think a few can be found on the Freeview channels. Failing that, they do replay Faulty Towers, Blackadder, Ab Fab, Keeping Up Appearances and other joyful 'greats' on a regular basis.

Then there are some good series; it just depends where your interests lie. You won't catch me dead watching a soap; I like Doctor Who, and am trying to collect Xena on DVD.

If you don't like the above list, then you are either blind or numb inside. The combined efforts of Tamsin Greig, Dylan Moran, Bill Bailey, Julian Rhind-Tutt et al have me in stitches for many a long hour.

So, in conclusion, I think you are all watching the wrong channel. I will proceed to poke you in the eye with an old lead Warhammer marine until you see the light, and switch over.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  13. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Catherine Tate = Crap
    Ricky Gervases = Total Crap

I still catch Rising Damp on the freeview channels every now and again..CLASS. Also, Yes Minister is both hilarious and a good tutorial on how politics actually works.

Don't forget Open All Hours. You're right Zeb, when compared to these GREATS, the standard of todays comedy (British) is totally abysmal. The American stuff is good though (Scrubs, 8 Simple Rules, etc). What ever happened to Becker???

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  14. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Cant argue with Bill Bailey being a God. One of the all time Best IMHO:D

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  15. shambles

shambles Guest

Doctor in the House
    Father Dear Father
    Man About the House
    No, Honestly
    Robin's Nest
    George and Mildred
    On the Buses
    Love thy Neighbour
    Mind your Language
    Happy Days
    Three's Company
    What's Happening
    Newhart
    Some Mothers Do ave em

Yep, there's no doubt - comedy was definately better in the good old days...

16. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

You missed out Last Of The Summer Wine, what more does comedy want than three walking corpses falling down a hill in a bath :D

17. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Never liked last of the summer wine.

Allo Allo was good, but Benny Hill was the man.

But my favorite ever was Monty Pythons Flying Circus, some of the sketches were genius:- Ministry of silly walks, the dead parrot sketch, the bank robber (who goes into lingerie shop) and the funniest joke in the world sketch (if you havent seen it, see it)

Then the films like Life of Brian and Holy Grail thats proper humor not crap like Ricky Gervais, Jimmy Carr and that ahole Russell Brand

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  18. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I've never considered him to be a comedian. He has too much hair, and he doesn't brush it. Ever. I consider him to be more like a talking birds' nest. A seagull messiah. Whatever. But I just. Don't. Get. Him.

and @ Shambles, they were only the good ol' days if you were around to experience the good old days. Comedy, like a lot of things, works on fashion - as a lot of it is observational on the environment we live in. I agree, and consider some older comedies to be wonderful; but in ten years' time, kids just won't get it. What you love and think is funny, they will see as drab and morose, because they will have no idea what the heck anyone will be talking about.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  19. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

QI and Buzzcocks I'll grant you - anything with Lamarr, Fry or Bailey in is genius by definition.

I think my point should have been sketch shows and sitcoms are crap. When I compare One Foot In The Grave with any sitcom since there isn't one that holds a candle to it. Since that finished about eight years ago now, that's a pretty pathetic record for the beeb I'm afraid.

My viewing habits during an average week tend to be:

Monday:
    Scrubs on paramount
    An old episode of the X Files on DVD
    Some Seinfeld (again, DVD)
    Maybe Road Wars on Sky so that i can laugh at Lee Boardman's 'professional manc' accent

Tuesday:
    King of Queens on paramount
    Summat on Animal Planet

Wednesday:
    Everybody Loves Raymond on paramount
    AN old episode of Millenium on DVD

Thursday:
    House on channel 5
    Scrubs on paramount

Friday:
    Buzzcocks on UK Gold or whatever channel it's on
    QI on one of the BBC channels

On top of that, if The Office is being re-run I'll watch that, I always watch The Simpsons and Futurama and Prison Break and Lost when they're on.

That's about it - and that does NOT equate to value for money for my TV license

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  20. shambles

shambles Guest

Personally, I think BBC Television today is probably the best it has ever been. Channel 4 is excellent and Channel 5 has a good eye for a show. I'm delighted to pay what I pay for the license in order not to get 25 channels of lowest common denominator TV. ITV sucks, and is as depressing as it has always been - no wonder they want to see the BBC dismantled. As always, the key is sensible use of the remote control...