Am I doing the right thing?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Juelz, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I wil keep this short and to the point.

There are jobs now that I feel like I could apply too and probably get an interview, my reasons for not applying is that I don't feel totally competent yet (I'm getting there), am I right in thinking that I should apply at these companies later when I feel like if I got an interview I would be able to answer more of their questions or just go in with my cards on the table explaining that I know some things but not all BUT I'm willing to learn? I feel that if I apply now and get rejected it would be a struggle to get a second chance and a loss of opportunity.

Opinions?

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Apply – nobody can do everything in a new job role. There is always an element of learning and getting up to speed.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

No matter how much you know, there is always something new to learn in IT. Like Sparky said, nobody can do everything in a new job role.

When I applied for my role they asked for a lot of stuff I hadnt done, but I put, would love to learn.

So send your form in and if you dont get it, you will get some great feedback and experience which will help you on the next interview.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. krrishone

krrishone Bit Poster

I see no harm in applying for jobs and attending interviews. You will get a good feel for sort of questions asked in interviews, maybe also able to work out common theme with questions as you progress through interviews at different places. Employers will offer good amount of training in if not all but most IT roles.

5. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

I agree with the others above that you should go for these interviews.

It's unusual to find a candidate that has everything a job advert requires and so apply and be clear on the things you can bring to the role.

All the best in your job hunt.