Am I Crazy For Trying This...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by craigie, Jan 1, 2009.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

As most of you know from reading my Study Guides, I have a methodology that works pretty well.

I have Jury Service coming up which has caused a bit of a dilemma for me dilemma which is:

I have finished Phase 1 of the 70-284 which is read and make notes from the MS Press Book, I have deployed and configured a couple of Exchange 2003 Servers (haven't been able to do Front End and Back End as I don't have a static IP, Sparky suggested).

Anways, I'm half way through Phase 2 which is watching the CBT Nuggets which means, I'm about a week or so away from the exam.

But, I'm not able to book the exam due to Jury Service which starts on Monday :(

So my cunning plan (Baldrick) is to study for ITIL v3 Foundation which I have lots of time waiting around to be called into the courts.

From what I have been told, Jury Service lasts around two weeks, so I looking at exams in the week commencing 19th January 2009. So do we think I can:

1. Pass the 70-284 on the Monday or Tuesday 19th or 20th January 2009?
    2. Pass ITIL v3 on the Friday 23rd January 2009?

I have already brought the ITIL v3 book and CBT Nugget guide as recommended by Ken.

I just don't want to be sitting around doing nowt on Jury Service, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

With the confident way you approach your studying and your exams, I honestly can't see any reason why you can't achieve this TBH Craigie.

If you're after peace of mind, are you able to second-shot your 70-284?

As long as you can stay conscious through your ITIL studies, the information you'll be taking on for the both won't "conflict" as it were, and it should be more than reasonable for you to retain the level of knowledge to pass.

Good luck, I say :thumbleft

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You have a 3 or 4 day gap between the MS exam and the ITIL exam, which is sufficient to review (as if you did the course it is a 3 day one with the exam at the end). The only thing is how tired you will be after the MS exam and like Arroryn said "As long as you can stay conscious through your ITIL studies". Keep to your plan and you should have no problems :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the feedback, think I'm gonna go for it!

Will definatley be using the MS 2nd Shot Voucher, do ITIL do a similar thing?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Good luck !

I couldn't find any voucher scheme for ITIL when I did mine in November. Make sure you book it thru' EXIN rather than ISEB as it's about 10 quid cheaper.

From what I've seen/read the people who self study for ITIL seem to get close to the pass mark.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the top tip UKDarkstar :D

7. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I agree with Darkstar - passed with 2 questions to spare which was good - spent about 6 weeks on/off reading a text book - not too boring, but a neccessity nowadays.

It has been highlighted on both interviews I've attended that I've done it so definitely gets noticed.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293