am i being naive

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by dizzy one, Nov 20, 2006.

1. dizzy one

dizzy one New Member

hi there,
    im new to this so bare with me, i have been to an interview this morning at a very impressive looking building to see if i would be accepted onto a home inspector training course, i knew there would be a fee involved but was shocked at how much £5,800 for 7 wks training and gain a diploma at the end of it they say they're registered with ABBE and this fee is only if i contract to them for 4 years once training completed otherwise its £9,800, i would have to get a loan as i dont have this kind of money lying around, this is something i really want to do (i currently work as a shop assistant) but how can i be sure i'm not about to be ripped off.
    cheers, xx

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This sounds fairly typical of the trade.

Would this have anything to do with HIP? (The 'home inspector' bit sounds rather like it.) If this *is* the case you need to consider *very* carefully if this is what you want to do, as the whole of HIP may not happen.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

what is HIP if you dont mind my asking :blink

WIP: N+ & CCNA
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

HIP=Home Information Pack.

An attempt to ease the path when selling a home, and looks like being caught by the 'Law of Unintended Consequences', as so many Government initiatives have been.

The other posibility lying behind the OP's course might be a proposed change in the way homes are values for local taxes.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. dizzy one

dizzy one New Member

yes it is hip and as far as i know the energy report has already been passed by the government its the condition report thats up in the air at the moment as from 1st june next year all sellers have to have the pack and it's something ive really looked into and would love to be able to do but my only problem is the upfront fees and ive heard so many horror stories,
    and sorry for delay in reply had to do school run xx

6. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

WTF? I'm all for off-topic discussion but this is extracting the urine somewhat is it not? It's all well and good for new members to come here, pose an IT question and then never post again but non-IT questions? How long are we going to let that one run? "Hi guys, I hear Alicante is nice at this time of year but what colour swimming costume should I take with me?"

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Uh, yeah, I agree with Baba.

We'd love to help anyone who needs help, but if you are intersted in training as a home inspector and seek the advice of an IT certification forum, then I would be extremely careful about what you sign.

And try not to nod when you leave the house, or they'll have you...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. Baba O'Riley

Or make eye contact for that matter.:D

That would normally be the case but Harry knows everything about everything so she should be fairly safe.:twisted:

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Guys ease up, look at the name of our forum and the path to this thread..

Certforums > Certification Forums > Training and Development

No mention of IT at all. It probably was a genuine mistake by the OP but from what I can tell she has got good advice anyway.

No need to be disrespectful.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

No disrespect intended!

:oops:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

re home inspections - this is the same company as uk it in tolworth I reckon. Same sales tactic. I'd google home inspections as I was under the impression that the uk govt were having second thoughts on the topic ? - Of course this came about AFTER companies such as the above paid a fortune to set up shop...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  12. Baba O'Riley

Nor here either. Just thought it was funny. :oops:

13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Thought I hadn’t seen ‘home inspector’ in the IT Recruitment pages before. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs