Altrnative Free Personal Firewall

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Phil, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I've just come across Kerio Personal Firewall and it's just what i've been looking for, so I thought I'd share :) I'm well impressed with it, far more flexible than sygate personal firewall and doesn't try and dumb down the configuration like Zone Alarm. The rules are completely configurable just like a grown up firewall :) and has md5 checksums of outbound applications like all good personal firewalls, best of all it's free for home users.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

How long have you been using it, Phil?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Just over the weekend, for me it beats the other freeware firewalls hands down on ease of configuration and features. The main feature I wanted it for was the ability to allow one way communication so I could allow outbound smtp only, from a specified application. With Sygate it was all or nothing, you could either have inbound and outbound traffic for a particular port or nothing. Zone alarm was just too fussy, I was spending too much time messing around trying to get it to do what I wanted it to do so I binned it.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I may have to blow away Zone Alarm on my laptop and give this a try. Thanks for the link.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I echo Trip's comments - this sounds interesting enough to warrant further investigation :hhhmmm

As a Zone Alarm devotee, I'd be interested to check it out. I've seen other Firewalls knocking around, and have tried Norton (yeech), so maybe this could be the one ...will let you know, Phil :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Thanks Phil

I'll load it onto my test machine.

7. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I like zonealarm too much and am always reluctant to try anything different as I know that zonealarm work, and it's set up just how i like it

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  8. Robnhood

Robnhood Bit Poster

I haven't worked much with kerio, but I have heard that there are some yahoo users groups that talk about using it.