altottenham_hotspur

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by altottenham_hotspur, Aug 2, 2007.

1. altottenham_hotspur

altottenham_hotspur Bit Poster

hello everyone

i live in southport (north west, between liverpool n preston)
    after high school i went to college n did a number of IT courses, i have always loved computers so thought this would make a prefect career

i have a got
    GNVQ IT
    BTEC NATIONAL DIPLOMA IT
    HND IT

i finished college in 2004, i took a year out and did nothin which was so good after some many years at college:biggrin

i then started to look for IT jobs, there is not alot in southport(retirement town) so i did look around in liverpool,preston,blackpool,st helens and i have managed to get a few interviews but never got a job, so im workin full time in morrisons:oops: which was my part time job while at college

early 2007 i had become fed up with IT i couldnt get my foot in the door and only havin 3months hands on experience i was ready to give up

after talkin it with my dad(whos also a big IT geek) i started looking into doing a MCDST/MCSE to help me get into IT, i wanted to find out as much info as i could about these companys that offer the courses, thats how i came across this website and thank god i did! gonna be stayin well clear of them

i think i will start off with doing the compTIA A+ and take it from there, a friend had given me his MCDST books and i had started reading it, but i will do this compTIA first seeing how it seems to be the first one most ppl do

i imagine it is hard to say but if i did have a compTIA A+ on my CV how much of a difference would it make with me getting a job? have ppl managed to get a job in IT with only this on there CV?

Certifications: HP Certified, CompTIA A+,MCP,MCDST
    WIP: hhmm
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It'd give you an advantage over those who don't have any experience or certifications. But will it guarantee you a job? No... no certification can do that.

What type of jobs are you applying for?

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Cool, welcome to CF :)

Good luck with your A+ & MCDST studies :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. altottenham_hotspur

BosonMichael It'd give you an advantage over those who don't have any experience or certifications. But will it guarantee you a job? No... no certification can do that.

What type of jobs are you applying for?

Welcome!

i have been applying for all sorts really from junior desktop assistants to building machines for companys or printer engineers, just feels like i havent had a break need one job to get me in then i will be sorted

i have noticed that companys r lookin for this compTIA alot more on jobs recently, hopefully it can help me get one:biggrin

5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Studying from home/in your own time will probably give you just as many props with a potential employer as having the A+ would, for entry level roles - it shows you're dedicated enough towards the career to 'do it the hard way'.

If it's any encouragement, I got my first IT job with the A+ being my only IT cert. But what got me in the door was probably my orientation towards customer service. Entry level jobs will probably want to train you the way they need you to be - if the stuff they can't teach you - a good service attitude, telephone manner, punctuality and so forth - are in place, then you've already got half the battle won :)

Good luck, and enjoy the forums!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi welcome :D

Like what the otherd have said, A+ will get you advantage over those who dont but wont get you a job.

I have the same qualifications as you but with NVQ 1 & 2 thrown in and I havent been able to get my foot in the door and I passed my HND in 1999.

I did stop looking for 4 years for a number of reasons but am now self studying for the A+ and hopefully it will get me somewhere. So youre not alone in not being able to get your self a job in IT

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

COYS!

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  9. altottenham_hotspur

cheers everyone, my confidence is starting to grow again:)

Mathematix COYS!

lol top 4 this year:biggrin

COYS!

10. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

A fellow Hotspur :D

Top four for sure this year, really top quality players we've had in, and not lost any. COYS!! :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  11. SvenGoranEccleson

SvenGoranEccleson Bit Poster

Welcome to the board, im more a lurker than a poster, but enjoy reading everyones thots/advice/frustrations with all things computer related :oops:

Like what the others said, an A+ will get your started and does show the potential employers that you are willing to learn (off your own back and at your own expense) employers dig that kinda stuff, so I would say, just get stuck in.

Once the A+ is out of the way, the MCDST would be your next port of call, excellent way to feel your way around the whole MS testing process and also a great way of finding out the in's and out's of XP.

Also, have the ability to communicate is probably the most important factor in all, because i'd expect you to start in a helpdesk role, desktop support, and these are all customer focused, so if you can show that you have the ability to understand the customers problems/requirements then job done!!

So good luck and let us all know how you get on.

Sven :D

Certifications: MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Most deffo, mate!

Let's hope the gunners suffer without Henry. ;)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  14. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

Hi altottenham_hotspur, take it you're a spurs fan ? you going to the game today, was tempted may self as they're selling tickets on the gate :)

MW

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  15. greenbrucelee

Spurs eh, dont make me laugh when were they a real football club:twisted:

16. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

and who might you support ? :dry

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
  17. greenbrucelee

I do not support anyone I am a neutral, Spurs are not worthy of Premiership status they are just cat (said in a nice way)

18. greenbrucelee

Technically I would rather watch NFL I support the BENGALS if it hadnt of been for the Cheating Steelers last year the BENGALS could have t superbowl.

19. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

spurs made the semi finals in the F.A cup, Carling cup and the Uefa cup and finished 5th in the Premier league for the 2nd season running. what do you base your decision on :p

Grim

20. greenbrucelee

LUCK!