Alternative web design training?

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by HowzItGoinEh, May 4, 2007.

1. HowzItGoinEh

HowzItGoinEh New Member

I realize that this is the CIW portion of the forums but after browsing, I could not find a more appropriate section to post this in...

I ordered the first set of books in the CIW Foundations series and started in on them this past week. The whole time I was reading the books I had this nagging thought, "I could be spending this time so much better actually learning the skills I need to develop sites as opposed to the theory behind it all".

I have been reading the forums and the following quote by BosonMicahael really got me thinking (original thread here: http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15515&page=2 ):

"I never said there were no jobs for Web designers... I said that there's little demand for the certification. Think about it - you don't need a certification to show you can create a Web site. You've got proof you can show them!!! Right??? You can physically show them a site you created! Thus, certification isn't demanded for Web designers as much as it is for systems and network and router and security admins. After all, I can't go into a job interview and bring in a sample of my network administration, can I?"

My number one priority right now is to get the skills I need to start securing the web design / development contracts. I have a base knowledge in HTML & CSS currently. I have not ever tried / experimented with Java, Flash or PHP. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some self-study materials that would give me good foundation knowledge in these topics?

My goal at the end of all of this is to do network security consulting & web design. I am on a major certification / training rampage right now so I'm gathering all the info I can. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Certifications: MCSE (NT 4.0), MCP, A+
    WIP: Network+, Security+
  2. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Personally, i would just start reading and experimenting with what you've read. I'm doing the CIW but it takes time and the "website design manager" course doesn't go deeply into topics. I'm not saying that CIW is not worth anything (otherwise I'm £2500 quid down), but as you seem to have already grasped, its no substitute for actually getting your hands dirty. I think practical ability is worth more than theory, any day.

If security is your thing, maybe you should concentrate on the N+ or something like that. I'm sure there will be someone along soon with more experience in that field.

Stuart

EDIT: Ooops, I see you're already doing N+. Indeed you seem to have your hands full at the moment. In my opinion (for what its worth), Drop the CIW and find books and web tutorials, there are millions of em.

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)