alternative to tracert

Discussion in 'Networks' started by dales, May 22, 2008.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi All,

I've got a little issue we are trying to look at in that at certain tiemes of the day a web application our staff use suddenly goes slow. I would ideally like to use tracert to measure the response times on each hope withing a script as typed out below so that we can see if there is a sudden increase in response time and where the finger could be pointed. But of course tracert uses ICMP which once the packet gets to the internet is no good as the packets are dropped. Does anyone know of any alternatives I could use!?

@echo off

set /p ipaddress=enter ip details?_
    echo %time% >> c:\logs\output.txt
    tracert -d %ipaddress% >> c:\logs\output.txt

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

pathping?

3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

thanks for the suggestion but pathping still uses icmp, so it wont work either.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  4. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Is your webserver a windows server?

If so why not set performance monitor to measure networking performance, such as queue length, bytes sent and received, and unicast packets it is receiving.

All of these should allow you to isolate whether it is a bandwidth issue, or something is interfering.

Also have you checked event viewer at these times, to see if anythings tunning on the PC.

If its a unix/linux based server, then ignore the above lol

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Not everywhere on the Internet drops ICMP! I use it regularly on the Internet at large.

There are UDP versions of ping about, so there may be a UDP version of traceroute.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

hmm thanks for the link, I think I might knock up a linux desktop and give that tool a whirl.

hbroom thanks for the suggestions, our webservers are netware so unfortunately that wont work, and we are pretty sure its not a local issue. I've already tested the route to the web application and all the hops outside of our network are blocked.

What the cusp of the matter is, is that we are sure that the fault lies at the providers of the web app, but when our users phone up their helpdesk they always say its working fine there (which of course just means it has'nt fallen over)!

8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Surely that is a firewall rule, rather than anything to do with Netware. TCP needs ICMP to work correctly, so I'd say that someone has blocked the echo type of ICMP packet.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

ahhhh haaa! thanks hbroomhall, you hit the nail right on the head. I toddled off to another computer that has seperate standard adsl connection and got a bit more information but it still wont give me the response times on the target webserver. I dont think there is anything more I can do really to diagnose the fault from here, apart from the linux suggestion. :fart