Alternate Antivirus ?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by DiamondGeezer, Dec 23, 2004.

1. DiamondGeezer

DiamondGeezer Bit Poster

Well its finally happened, I've become that cheesed off with AVG that I've decided to try another Antivirus software package. On the free option I'd thought about Avast Home Edition and on the other hand I'd bite the bullet and shell out for another package thats not free. Trend's new pc-cillin is getting some good reviews, its not as resource demanding as norton, it costs marginally less and has all the features and free tech support.

Open to suggestions and recomendations.

Cheers.

WIP: mcp/ccna
  2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I have a mate who moved to Avast, he seems to be very happy with it, haven't tried it myself. We use Sophos at work which I've been very impressed with and the support has been good when needed.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. DiamondGeezer

DiamondGeezer Bit Poster

Thanks Phil, I'm gonna try Avast for the next week or so, If its going well there wont be any need to change, but I'll take a look at Sophos also. I want a good trojan removal/prevention tool, if you have any suggestions ?

Thanks Again

Dave

4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I also tried AVAST. It looks quite nice and I think it works well, but I had some problems with it. It seems it had a disagreement between my firewall, outlook and the av. Maybe it was just my setup but I haven't heard anyone else having problems with it.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Just curious DiamondGeezer...what cheesed you off about AVG?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

The issue of PCPRO a few months ago had a 180 day trial of bullguard AV & Firewall (also included a small web backup space!), if you can track it down it might be worth it.

I emailed PCPRO the other month asking if they could look into AV software for users and compare them - particularly looking at how fast they update their definitions, etc. they got back to me and said that they would look into [the possibility of doing it!], so keep your eyes open, they may have some decent advice!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. DiamondGeezer

DiamondGeezer Bit Poster

2 Things really, the first was that with the previous version of avg it was straight forward.....Dave online....Dave gets virus.....Avg finds virus...virus is removed. As I'd mentioned in a previous thread, the first system scan with avg 7 turned out 30 virus type files but for whatever reason did not want to heal,delete or move said files to the vault, not the end of the world i know but when upgrading I assumed that the whole engine would be very much the same if not better ( personal experience only ). The other was more of maybe a coinsidence, my master rom drive ( pioneer 106 ) stopped reading any disc that I inserted and would only do so if the disc was left in and i rebooted the machine, a small niggling point i agree but still should not be happening.

After these events I've decided to just do a fresh format and install again, its been about 6 months anyway and I like to keep things fresh.

There, thats me finished moaning about it now..pheew...feel so much better.
    Thanks for lending an ear or 10....lol. :biggrin

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

That's interesting. I hate to be picky but it's the troubleshooter in me. You are sure that AVG caused the problem with your ROM drive. Did you try to check that out with the folks at grisoft and see if it was a known issue with them?

I'm only asking because I've upgraded 3 computers that were running AVG to the latest version and had the virus problem with two of them. One was my son's laptop and he had virus issues in the past (teenagers have a difficult time with the concept of computer and network security). :dry

I haven't had any other difficulties besides what I've mentioned. I do find the interface slightly less user friendly but not enough for me to scrap the software altogether.

Sorry if I sound like a pest, Dave. I'm just curious about the matter. Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. DiamondGeezer

DiamondGeezer Bit Poster

I've not contacted Grisoft, after removing AVG and installing Avast Home Edition, the problem went away. This problem occured some time ago when I recieved a less than 'legit' copy of AVG 7 Pro from a friend to try it out. At that time I was also using AVG 6 free and again the problem with the rom drive ( which was a different as well ) reared its head for the first time. The more I think about it now I will be contacting Grisoft, my pc configuration has changed since the last time but this error has happened again...maybe I'm just unlucky........I'll report back with any solutions or response I get from grisoft support.

10. Bull Gates

Bull Gates Byte Poster

I use Zone Alarm Security Suite 5 (Antivirus & Firewall) all in 1. Till date I haven't had any problems with it. But as u may b knowing it's not Free. As I wanted a Firewall & a Antivirus, I thought of Zone Alarm as its had some gud reviews. I don't know abt Avast but if it dosen't have a spyware/trojan remover in it then I'd suggest Lavasoft Ad-Aware Professional if u r ready to spend some dosh on it or else theres a freeware Personal Edition which is gud for a Home PC.

HTH

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  11. trislloyd

trislloyd Nibble Poster

I use AVG at home and at work and have never had a problem, although i suppose you can only draw off personal experiences. Although, having said that i have noticed sometimes it would find a virus and not want to do anything with it! I'm like, what's the point of that! you arse! <<sorry for the swear word.

Fortunately i have other measures in place - cisco firewall, spyware blockers e.t.c. I don't think it would be wise to rely on an anti virus program alone! Whatever you decide to use.

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+, MCP
    WIP: MCSE, specializing in Cisco