Alreet....

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Lefty, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Lefty

Lefty Bit Poster

Ello everyone.

I am looking forward to getting to know everyone on here over the coming months and years!

I am from oop north in England and am a postie!

I am not working in IT at the minute but am currently studying towards CCNA as part of my Foundation Degree. After that I am looking to do the CCSP course!

So everyone with a brain worth picking get ready!

WIP: CCNA (Foundation Degree I.T)
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Greetings and Goodluck with your studies:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Keep in mind that certifications and education without experience will only get you so far. Best advice I can give is to start seeking out your first IT job to start building real-world experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

I second that but be positive all along as that first post can take a bit of time to get but don't lose focus of your goal.

Anyway good luck and welcome to CF.:biggrin

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Welcome :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF.

Actually one of our senior mods here used to be a postie, he is now a technical writer, so anything is possible.

I agree with BBM, you need hands on experience whilst studying for IT certs, otherwise you will find yourself qualified but with no practical experience. This is not what employers are looking for, they are looking to hire people with experience *and* qualifications to back it up.

The conundrum is how do you get an entry level job in IT without experience? This has been asked many times and I suggest that you peruse these forums and find out how others have managed to do it.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

(One of the junior mods too Pete.:oops:)

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. Lefty

Lefty Bit Poster

Thanks for your advice!

The issue I have with getting an IT job whilst studying is that my hours of work allow me to do my degree. Tue and Thu 14:00 - 21:00. If I went into an office now I wouldn't be able to do it. So I may have to just take the risk!

At least I will be a case study!

Anybody any idea how much the CCSP costs as I will no doubt have to do that myself.

11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

From one 'northerner' to another, alreet! :biggrin

12. Lefty

Lefty Bit Poster

Aye! :beers2

13. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

Although you dont currently have time to get that all important job for the experience, I thought my little story might be of help to yourself (and others in the same situation) in the future.

In response to the posts of how to get into an IT job with no IT experience or certifications, I managed to do this by working my way up in my current company, its not easy but showing a keen interest in IT and helping out when necessary puts you in good sted for when they need that next IT person. The only problem is in many larger companies the roles of employees are set in stone so this is not possible.

I'd suggest a smaller company is the best way to go, currently I run around 55-60 machines and users so its smallscale, but the experience is still there and in the time when everything is running smoothly and there are no outstanding jobs, you have free time to really look at the different aspects on the system and how each part of it works.

There are endless supplies of smaller companies who all need an IT Admin / IT Support man, and who are also not as picky as the larger companies. Be prepared to work on a small salery, i currently earn 15K per annum but the experience is priceless.

The other major plus, is that you can then study for your certifications while working day in day out on the bits your studying. Although at the moment I have no experience with certs and currently hold none, I am on my way to hopefully getting my A+ and then Network+, so its a real possibility for anyone who is interested in IT and has little experience, It does happen.

Hope this helps for the future when you do start looking for that all important job.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  14. Lefty

Lefty Bit Poster

Thanks for that!

15. Lefty

Lefty Bit Poster

Do you think schools are a good place to start? My big sis is a teacher and may be able to put a good word in for me. Still can't do it just yet but seemed as good a place as any.

16. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

NEVER EVER Work in a school! :ohmy

Not that I'm bitter and twisted or anything! :biggrin

Seriously: Give it a go, it will expose you to all sorts of technologies.

17. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

One of my friends actually went down that route, he was an assistant to the three teachers who actually ran the school network/systems. From the learning view its probably one of the best places to start, not only are you getting experience and being paid, you will have the teachers as your disposal so to speak.

The down side, is having to work near all the kids! :)

If you can get your foot in the door, its potentially a great oppotunity.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012