Alreet all, good evening!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by rigmarole, Jul 24, 2007.

1. rigmarole

rigmarole New Member

Hello all, im 21 and work in a groggy warehouse. Im looking into getting some networking qualifications (distance learning), deffinatly A+ and N+ then not sure which route to take microsoft or cisco? Im leaning towards cisco i think, because its cheaper and i've seen as many jobs as microsoft (mcsa vs ccna).

heres some quotes ive had,

Computeach: a+, n+, mcsa, mcse = £5250

NILC: a+, n+, mcsa, mcse = £4950

Skillstrain: a+, n+, ccna, ccnp = £3750

Keimos: a+, n+, ccna, ccnp = £2210

Are these fair prices?
    Anyone had any experience with any of these companys?
    Can anyone recommend any other training providers?

Thanks in advance,

Rig

Certifications: none
    WIP: a+ yay!
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi welcome to CF :D

Most people on here will advocate self study, its cheaper and you can learn at your own pace :D

If you study for the A+ then buy the A+ all in one study guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers.

Another good book to get is by a guy who is also a member of this forum ( Hope you dont mind me pluggin your book Trip)

PC Technician Street Smarts: A Real World Guide to CompTIA A+
    by James Pyles

Both books are excellent and will teach you what you need to know.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

First off, if NONE of those providers have told you that the CCNA won't help you get an entry-level IT job, then you shouldn't go with ANY of them. Because the truth of the matter is... if you don't yet have any IT experience, you shouldn't pursue the CCNA. Why?

1. The CCNA is geared for IT professionals with at LEAST a few years of experience.
    2. Companies will NOT hire people without experience to perform network or router administration.
    3. The concepts covered by the CCNA are not related to anything that an entry-level tech will be doing... therefore, the CCNA won't help you get an entry-level job. In fact, it could HURT your chances of getting one, if the employer thinks you're just using them as a stepping stone... in the door and out again in 3-6 months.

Bottom line, if you get your CCNA and start applying for CCNA-level jobs, your chances of getting hired are extremely slim, as you'll be competing with certified individuals WITH experience. IT is competitive enough as it is... doing that will simply set yourself up for failure from the get-go.

Secondly, those prices are extremely expensive compared to the cost of self-study. You should *really* look into doing so. See all those certifications in my signature line? I got *all* of them through self-study and on-the-job experience. Don't let anyone tell you that you HAVE to take a course to get certified. It's just not true.

Finally, certification is NOT a magic key to get you an IT job. Experience is what employers want to see. Certification simply gives you an advantage over others with similar experience levels.

I would recommend that you start looking for an entry-level IT job NOW, and start studying for the A+ exams. After you get the A+ certification and your first entry-level IT job, start studying for the Network+ and/or the MCDST. Continue to gain experience and job responsibilities, and continue to certify (as long as the certifications are relevant to your current or immediate-future job tasks).

Sure, the MCSE and CCNA/CCNP are worth getting... but you must crawl before you walk, and walk before you run. IT's not a get-rich-quick career, but it's a great field... if you love doing it, and you're dedicated to it over the long haul.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Hello and welcome!:)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  5. rigmarole

rigmarole New Member

Thanks for your replys, and i forgot to mention that i will hopefully get an IT entry level job soon (looking at the mo) then start the courses, so i get experience and qualifications.

Self study looks interesting but would a complete novice take to it? what if you get stuck? and how much are A+, N+ and CCNA exam fees?

thanks in advance,

Rig

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

look on the sites for exam fees but I am sure the 2 a+ exams (you need to pass 2) are £108 each unless they have change since I last looked.

Yes self study can be done by a complete novice you just need willingness and determination.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sure, anyone would take to it if they have any sort of discipline... and if you don't, perhaps IT's not the thing for you. You'll be learning new things in IT continually... it's not a one-time process, and you never have to learn again. And I can promise you, most employers won't pay for an expensive course to send you to... you'll have to learn new stuff on your own. Might as well learn how to do it now!

If you get stuck... that's what we're here for. :) But I doubt you'll get stuck... Meyers A+ All-in-One Study Guide is excellent.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. rigmarole

rigmarole New Member

Thanks for your relplys! :)

9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF and good luck with your studies. I too agree with the self study route. Its more cost effective and can be accomplished.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Hello and welcome to Certforums. As stated above self certification is the best way even If you sign with a training provider you will be doing all the work anyway, may as well save yourself a few quid.

If you have a bit of a crappy job and you want to change things for the better, thats all the motivation you need.

And yes it can be done,today its my last day today in my crappy job I start a new job (in IT) on monday.

Best of luck to you, start with the A+ if this is what your interested in you will enjoy the course, I know I did.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. rigmarole

rigmarole New Member

Well i took your advice and i have now ordered A+ Certification All-in-one Exam Guide (All-In-One), £20 brand new :biggrin

i'll update to let you know how my self study goes because if i can do it anyone can! (im 21, love beer and very lazy at times :blink)

13. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Lol, im also 21, in a little place called London where its so hard to *not* go out everynight, just allocate a little time each day to have a little read, and you'll be fine :) Good luck mate

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012