Aloha!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Happy protech, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Happy protech

Happy protech Bit Poster

Thanks again Harry.

*edit
    What are the career differences with microsoft/linux/unix? not the obvious, would micosoft offer more lucrative careers as opposed to Linux? Or is Linux/Unix alot more popular with its security benefits for companys?

The only thing I'm stuggling to understand is, being a programmer, you wouldn't be looking after the server side of things for companys etc, what do you do as programmer for an open-source company? I'm struggling to understand what it is a Linux/Unix programmer does. Whats your day in/day out job Harry? If you don't mind me asking.

p.s - sorry about the edit if you read my earlier post, the ^ came too mind. :P

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This will depend very much on the company. Some are Microsoft shops only - no Unix here! Some are the other way about. Some have mixtures. There are no rules! :ohmy
    You can make a good career out of either. Of course, if you are familiar with both this is a bonus.!
    My main job is Telco billing (sounds boring!).

Frequently I'm asked to get a new 'report' going, or "please tweak this to do that". Recently I needed to get some files on a regular basis from another company and recopy them on elsewhere. For that I used an old package called 'mirror' plus some shell and Perl. Or I might be asked to modify our ticketing system. This is written in a mix of Perl and PHP with a MySQL backend.

Or I might be asked to write a new stored procedure for the PostgreSQL system that handles our wholesale billing.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Happy protech

Happy protech Bit Poster

I have to admit with my current knowledge of programming none of that made much sense as to what you do. :p

Thanks for the explanation on the less, I'm looking forward to learning some programming languages. :D

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Don't let the fact that some of what I write is obscure stop you. :biggrin

The trick is to look up keywords on places like wikipedia and the like. You may not understand the full details, but the important thing is that it partialy illuminates the road ahead.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+