"Allow myself to introduce...me."

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by MasterDelgado, Feb 23, 2016.

1. MasterDelgado

MasterDelgado Nibble Poster

Hello,

So I'm a 40-something Brit based in Toronto, Canada transitioning into IT after about 10 years of copying and pasting text as a financial journalist. Probably a good time to quit since an algorithm could probably put together a readable business news story...

I've been playing video games for over 25 years with my gaming "career" starting off in 1989 with the Commodore Amiga, playing such games as 688 Attack Sub and Lucas Arts' Their Finest Hour. Back then, games came in boxes with actual manuals. Today, they call it DLC...

Got my first PC in 1996 and bought Star Trek: A Final Unity (never did finish it) and flying the Jane's Combat Sims: spent the most time on Longbow 2. Switched to consoles with the PS 1 (WipeOut, FIFA, Medal of Honor, Formula One '96, Metal Gear Solid) then PS 2 (Metal Gear Solid 2, Ace Combat) then jumped ship to XBox (Full Spectrum Warrior, Futurama, HALO 2) then XBox 360 (CoD 4, Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption, Bad Company 2).

A few years ago I planned and built my own gaming rig and had a blast putting it together (and then playing Skyrim). I realized that maybe I can get a certificate in this. And last week, I took my first step into a larger world by passing my A+.

These days, I don't have that much time for games as I'm supposed to be studying for my IT certs but I recently got Fallout 4. Before that, I'd mess about with the crazy mods for GTA V. My rig: i5-2500K, GTX 970, 16 GB of RAM inside a spray-painted NZXT mid-tower.

IMG_3683.JPG

I'm aiming for the Network+ next, and in the meantime I'm applying for the usual entry-level help desk stuff as well as considering volunteering my time to get some hands-on IT experience. I do have writing and business networking skills from my time as a journalist but not sure if they'd be considered useful in IT.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

"Master Delgado"

Certifications: Sec+ | Fortinet NSE 1 & 2
    WIP: CCNA
    Jaron78 likes this.
  2. MasterDelgado

MasterDelgado Nibble Poster

Also: the reason I joined this forum over Techexams is that most of the people on here are fellow Brits who might pick up on my "Only Fools & Horses" references. Lovely jubbly.

Certifications: Sec+ | Fortinet NSE 1 & 2
    WIP: CCNA
    Apexes likes this.
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Welcome to certforums, good luck with your N+. BTW you'd be surprised how useful writing skills are in IT, theres always a need for documentation!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
    MasterDelgado likes this.
  4. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi @MasterDelgado,

Great intro sir. Welcome to CF. Everyone here is really helpful, insightful and offers great advice.

I was kind of in the same situation as you in that I got into IT quite late in life. I was 32, and had just been made redundant. No idea what to do, looked into IT and haven't looked back since :)

Personally, I am working towards the Network+, followed by a Linux+ and a CCNA (Hopefully get the second two sponsored by work).

All the best, and good luck with the Job hunting. I started applying for First Line support as soon as I got my A+ so just blitz people and hopefully something will come up :)

All the best

Ron

5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Welcome to Certforums, and OFAH references all good with me

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome t the forums :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. annascott

annascott New Member

You're welcome on this forum and hope you'll share your knowledge here.

9. jasonmat

jasonmat New Member