AIX and Linux Redhat

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by zet, Dec 22, 2010.

1. zet

zet Byte Poster

Hey guys,

I've got a job interview in a few weeks. While I have the majority of the skills required for the role I'm lacking in the Unix and Linux department. I've only ever worked with Solaris (Unix). Although I was told not to worry I think it would be impressive to pick up these skills.

However, I'm a clueless. The spec asks for AIX 5.2 upwards and Linux Redhat. My first question is :dry I thought it would be freeware but the AIX O/S costs or have I got this wrong? Also, is the O/S clientside or server side?

I've also looked at Linux Redhat, their seems to the desktop client and a server client. Which is it most likely they are looking for?

Apologies if this has been asked before,
    Thanks in advance.

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

AIX will be server side, as far as RH is concerned I would also honestly be expecting it to be server based but it really does depend on the kind of role you're going for.

As far as costs go, yes AIX is a paid for OS, most Unix based OS's are going to be paid for in some way or not, that's why the Linux based OS's really came around.

As far as skills are concerned, forget about picking up those skills in weeks, these are skills that take months\years to gain.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. zet

zet Byte Poster

Ah, I'll just do some reading around the subject. The role is entry level for a graduate, I think if i can demonstrate some basic knowledge it'll look better then none. Thanks for the advice :)

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Unix traditionally was commericial Open Source, meaning you paid a few grand but got the source code so you could find and resolve issues. AIX is IBM's UNIX variant and is therefore commercial, IBM used to make a lot of money on kit so yeah I'd expect it to cost.

Linux is the result of many people including Richard Stallman and Linus Torvalds in order to create a non commercial UNIX.

Generally UNIX and Linux are used more on servers.

A desktop Linux install should be fine for learning, Linux can be scalled up or down by adding or removing packages so the distinction in software terms is not so impotant as there isn't the marketing and licensing issues.