Aiming High

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Phoenix, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I understand your concern re the consultancy Si
    in fact it was an issue I had when first moving in that direction, as i too thought that was the case
    however it has not really been the case in any of my consultancy roles, a good techy doesnt need to sell a solution, work with a customer and define a solution thats right for the business needs and it sells itself, theres no real sales element to it in that respect (not like an actual sales job at least)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

My target is a Masters in Information Systems.

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

That is so true mate. If you are the in-house IT guy you can be a complete a***hole if you want to be but if you want to sell IT then you have to be a ‘people’ person.

I used to be the in-house IT guy for a large company but now I am the ‘consultant’ when the sales guy at my work picks up a potential new client (Day to day I support the existing clients). I enjoy it to be honest and every potential client I have been introduced to has signed on the dotted line for a support contract. You don’t need to be a technical genius, you just need to be liked then take it from there. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi mate,

What is this BSF?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

6. Kitkatninja

Thanks mate. Maybe my job isn't as safe as i thought (I also work in a school). Maybe I'll start to either looking to go back to "industry" or back to Government (civil service).

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I wouldn't worry too much mate, I just found the following ...

That was a quote from the snappily titled :- Northamptonshire Education Development Plan Annual Review and Update Summer Term 2005.

From what I can gather, Northants isn't even in Phase 1 of this yet. Things may have changed since that was published though.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. Kitkatninja

Hey Modey,

Thanks, so in 4 years time we'll have to start looking for other jobs. There goes our plans to stay at the school 'til we retire :twisted: - "NOT"

-Ken

9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

[borat] High Five [/borat] :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Previous back in May 2006:-

What are your aims in IT?

I was looking to move into the IT sector as soon as possible.
    Working in an environment that provides Technical Support in IT in first or second line support.

how to you plan to achieve them?

My time scale was within the next 6 months, I would get voluntary work experience and start a studying MCDST or Comptia A+.

Present February 2007

After doing two weeks of voluntary work experience in a local Hospital I was offered a job.

I work for NHS in small IT Department, as a Hardware/Software Support Technician providing 2nd line support to users.

We repair or replace desktop PC's and Monitors and Printers. The PC's are
    Min. Specs 1100MHZ Pentium CPU with 512 SDRAM or DDR and 20GB. HD with Realtek LAN Cards.
    Max Specs Pentium 4 3.0 CPU with 1GB DDR 80 GB SATA HD with onboard Realtek LAN cards
    The newer PC's have PXE's boots which makes RIS so simple and you can install the software under 3 hours otherwise your looking at 5 Hours. :biggrin

There are only 6 of us and over 4000 users. I think the hardest part of the job is getting hold of the correct information as to what really is wrong with the computer and where it is located.8)

What are your aims in IT?

Stay in this job role for 1 year to get my 1 years work experience in the IT field. Moving onto 3rd line support or Network.

how to you plan to achieve them?

I realised anything worth while in life is Hard Work!!:biggrin

where to you plan to take yourself in IT?

I haven't figured that one out yet, I'm still new to IT.
    It's better to make a six month plan and take little steps then to make an unrealistic target and have my head up in the clouds. :biggrin

For the moment I am happy, Job satisfaction is my main concern.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Cockles - what line of work are you in at the moment and why the change?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+