AGP graphics

Discussion in 'A+' started by Fergal1982, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

i was going to add this to the damn desktop thread, but its A+ relevant, so ill put it here.

i've been looking through the manual for the MOBO i have in the PC, and it doesnt indicate an AGP multiplier. so im assuming that its AGPx1.

can anyone tell me if AGP is backwards compatable! that is, will an AGPx4 (as seems to be most common at the cheap end) function on an AGPx1 capable MOBO, or will it just lock up?

im aware that obviously if it does work, the performance will suffer. but thats fine!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

this is only a guess but I reckon it should be. Why not get hold of an old PCI card to be sure it isn't the AGP card or slot.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You have the gist of here Fergal, the 4x card will work in the mobo, but check the voltage required first. It will simply run at 1x.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Yup - it will work with older AGP slots at their speed.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

thanks guys. muchous help. i thought as much but its always good to get verification!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present