Agency have to reveal the name of a company

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by michael78, Jul 6, 2010.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Quick question does an agency have to reveal the name of the company to you when they are emailing your CV to them. I'm sure someone from an agency told me by law they have to tell you.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Not sure they are required to disclose their client until you are offered an interview. But if nothing else its common sense to tell you if you are interested in the position. After all, if you have already authorised another agency to put you forward for the same job, it saves them time and money.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. michael78

Yeah thats the issue one agency won't tell me and I'm sure another agency wants to put me forward for the same job.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

well you could always take a stand and tell them you are not prepared to be put forward for a job unless you know the client. If they dont reveal it, walk away.

Edit: Comparing the jobspecs is usually a dead giveaway.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It's common sense for them to do so because they don't want to start getting into a pissing contest with any other agency that also puts you forward (and it looks bad on the second agency that does that).

Normally by the time my CV is being put forward to a company I do know who the company is because that way it gives me the opportunity to learn what I can on the company.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. michael78

Well just got off the phone and they won't tell me so might skip this one :x

7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I've had that recently, I'm sure that about 4 recruiters have contacted me about the same job, same area, same job title, same pay scale. I did ask for a bit more info but then found out it was only a contract. Thing was this was over the course of about a week and a half, kept getting excited when the bat phone rung only to be giving the same old tat by different recruiters, still at least the phone is ringing occasionally which is nice.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You just have to look at it this way: If they're not prepared to tell you who the client is, they have something to hide. My best guess is that they have no intention of putting you forward for the role, and are just candidate-fishing. That happens all the time the further up the ladder you go. A few years ago, when i started to move into senior roles, I got pestered non-stop by agencies who were obviously just looking to get more people on their databases. In the end I stopped answering calls from them and just stuck with the three or four I'd used in the past, knew and (as mu8ch as it's possible to do so), trusted.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Various things tend to happen, recruiters rely on a contract that says the first agent to put you forward for a position should get the commission. They are not really worried about pissing contests. What they are worried about it lead stealing, they don't want other agents knowing about their clients and positions. They don't want candidates applying direct, etc.

If they tell you the client before putting you forward they are at risk of these.

Never tell an agent where you have been interviewing, 'so as to avoid duplication', this is a trick for them to steal leads and try to place others instead of you into a position.

Sometimes the position does not exist at all, they leave old adverts live or cold call, then they try to mine you for information like above in the guise of a fake job or a casual chat. They can be trying to generate leads and not really interested in placing you at all.

The bigger their candidate database the more potential companies they can contact to place people. Firstly they want open positions and client companies, candidates come way down the list. You are nothing more than a commodity to them, like a can of beans on a shelf.

I'm not sure of the law, it would definitely be good to know, I don't think its true, and would be unenforceable, but in any case even if it were true such agents would just drop you as a candidate and find someone happy to be put forward blind.

Ask details about the company, industry, location, size, position, etc, then have an educated guess, its pretty easy for small towns or large companies, for a small generic company in a big city its rather difficult.

Good agents will have a verbal agreement with you to represent you for the position, they will rely on this and their legal team.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  10. michael78

Sounds about right. It sounded like a really good job. I should of learn't by now as it's not the first time this type of thing has happend.