Agency Advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by bloomfieldliam, Jul 6, 2006.

1. bloomfieldliam

bloomfieldliam Bit Poster

Hi guys,

Been looking for jobs since Monday, around my area cos it's rural there isn't much or hardly any scope for IT jobs I have been using the Internet more.

Applied for 6 jobs on jobserve.com and got a call today back from a 'Consultancy' (I assume agency) anyway he tells me about the post, perks, wages, length of contract etc and I am saying yeah yeah and he said he would send out details and to call him back if I had any questions.

Now the call finished as if yeah you've got the job cos he said if I don't speak to you we'll see you when the contract begins.

I was left in a mixture of shock, elation and suspicion....surely it isn't as easy as this? the job pays very well for a first foray into IT.

Should I remain sceptical until something arrives?

Liam

Certifications: A+, MCP XP, MA in IT, ECDL
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'd wait and see what turns up in the post before doing anything. It may be that you have been very lucky and have landed a contract at the first try, on the other hand it may simply be a recruiter trying to get your hopes up. 8)

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I second that, hope if goes your way though, fingers crossed! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. GW

GW Byte Poster

Always becareful with agencies, I once took a desktop support job with a company through an agency and I showed up with my shirt and tie and discovered that the job was actually pulling cable on a construction site.

Since at the time I was working from a small city it was the only IT agency around so I was stuck for two months before I could get a job in another city. Almost had to come to a lawsuit to get out of the contract but they eventually backed down but I'm black listed on that agency so I will never be able to get work through them ever again.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  5. Andrew_P

Andrew_P Bit Poster

I have got an appointment with Reed Employment tomorrow morning. Apparantly they have some job roles with a local internet company on the support helpdesk.

Anyone here used Reed?, if so what are they like and are they trustworthy? :)

Cheers

Certifications: None at present
    WIP: A+
  6. bloomfieldliam

Hi all,

Quick update on this, got a whole raft of stuff through via email and was told to return the following by post

Email & Internet Usage

T-Shirt Order Form

Ref Request Form

Skillset Questionaire

Umbrella from (if required)

*** UK Identity Card (company name blanked out)

The job appears legit, it's a Rollout Engineer for a big project, they won't have got my stuff until today so will wait on a phone call however I have been invited to a manual handling course on Thursday as they say it is a prerequisite for the role.

So far it appears OK, I have had terrible luck in the past and often don't read stuff fully or just act on impulse so if it's crap I can always rely on other jobs I am applying for or if it's a goer I will think myself darn lucky and get on with it.

Liam

7. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

Hi m8

Been contracting for a while now seems, legit to me, thats how a lot of agencies work, especially for "rollouts" just send bodies as its not really nuclear physics as regards "rollouts" But its a great start to put on your c.v. for further contracts m8!

I hope it goes well and you enjoy the post!!

Steve

Certifications: N+, MCP, MCTS, RHCT, VCP4 and 5, RHCSA
    WIP: ccna
  8. bloomfieldliam

Ah thanks Steve, was hoping someone from that line of work would comment, yeah it ain't that taxing but a good start for me I think so I am well chuffed, it even doesn't start till after my holiday so good all round.

I'll keep the thread updated.

Liam

9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

you got the job? This will do wonders for your A+! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  10. bloomfieldliam

I dunno or I am not sure to be exact, to me it sounded like it was offered on the phone and I said yes so the guy said see you late August then so I suppose so, got to go on a Manual Handling Course tomorrow before starting the job.

Liam

11. bloomfieldliam

Update on this, start date constantly put back so gave up hope.

Entering my second week as Hardware/Software Support Engineer which is basically some Helpdesk and some Onsite work for a local company so not all bad, still chasing the elusive Field Engineer post.

Liam

12. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

Well just to advise you on what happend with me, I used Reed.co.uk to look for a job about a month ago and totally forgot I had. Thursday I had a phonecall and friday an interview, Friday afternoon I have a contract and I am rushing around like a bluea$$ fly trying to get everything over to reed (Passport, References etc etc).

Today I started :D

Hope that helps you a little about agencies :D

Certifications: None As Yet
    WIP: MCTS: 70-536 & 70-526
  13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

There are good agencies, and there are bad agencies. I'm sure there are ones in the middle too.

A good agency will keep in touch with you and offer you various positions, if you are interested they will put you forward and the recruting company will decide if they want to interview you or not. The agency may even do some preliminary psychometric testing on you.

That all works fine, I've been with one myself - and I've used them for recruitment. It can save a lot of legwork for both the employer and the jobseeker. If there is a downside, then it is that you may have to apply for jobs you don't want. The agency will be keen to get you a job as they don't get paid if they don't. That means they may get desperate and offer you things that aren't ideal - and you'll p1ss them off if you keep saying 'no'.

The bad agencies are altogether different. They are cheap to use and ideal for the lazy employer. They do absolutely all the work, often including the interview.

So you have a ten minute chat with someone over the phone and they then say 'start on Monday' - beware.
    As I said, they only get paid if they fill a vacancy and they don't necessarily care what they fill it with.

It all then goes wrong come Tuesday when your new boss realises that you don't have any of the skills that he was looking for and he has a good old 'what the hell are you sending me' rant with the agency.

It's all very embarassing - especially for the poor applicant who is stuck in the middle and who has done nothing wrong.

Just remember what they say - 'If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is...'

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  14. BobT

BobT Nibble Poster

Hi Liam, The Manual Handling Course is a Health&Safety thing. It'll teach you not to drop big heavy things on your toes because it can be painful:D . If they are organising a MHC this is a good sign. They don't want you putting your back out on the first day and suing them for millions. In my opinion, they're hardly going to spend/waste, time/money on MHC if their offer was not genuine.
    But....being the cynic that I am, I have to ask. Who is paying for the MHC? Who pays for the T shirt? Not you, presumably.
    Regards.

Certifications: Bugger All
    WIP: A+ Network+ Server+ Security+MCDST
  15. bloomfieldliam

Hi Bob, this job has fallen through well for the forseeable future, the MHC was paid for by the employer but they got the certs so it wasn't much use, I've been on one before but lost the cert.

They decided against the t-shirt or polo shirt to be exact, it was supposed to be part of a uniform so you could be indentified on sites.

Liam

16. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

I've got people contracts, people with no IT experience on their CV. The agency required people ASAP for the next day. They quickly learned on the job (just follow the documentation or write your own and follow that), it can be easy to get contract work. Gets easier the more experience you have. I get calls every day.

17. Oro

Oro Bit Poster

Last post: 26-Sep-2006

That aside, which agencies are you using? I'm trying to get my first technical position in the the industry (I have worked for re-sellers before) and would be very interested in contract work as long as it provided me that much needed experience and the agency didn't require a ridiculous amount of experience and qualifications.

Certifications: Comptia A+
  18. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Look for roll-out / migration work, lots of Win7/Office2010 stuff about at the moment - doesn't require a lot of experience (if any). Just be prepared to work/stay away if needed.