Age Discrimination

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Rover977, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Hi folks, I wanted to ask what some of your opinions are on the thorny issue of age discrimination in the IT field. Recently I have read a lot of articles on TechRepublic regarding this, and frankly it doesn't paint a very positive picture. I am age 42 and I have recently completed a course with SkillsTrain and gained the A+/N+/CCNA certs, and since that have been studying MSCA 2003 on my own. The question is though has my investment been a worthwhile one - what are other people's experiences re the age issue ?

What areas of IT are LEAST affected by age issues ?

(I used to be a C++ programmer and I know that that area was generally a very young group).

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I can't speak to the specific area you describe, but we old guys can generally find work as technical writers, authors and editors. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Rover,

You need to start applying for IT support roles and find out for yourself as am sure there would be age discrimination but done in a stealth way.

I would not let this deter me if I were you as I am not too far from the 40yr old mark and have not thought this to be a hindrance just yet. Lastly, your age does not need to be on your CV. I still think you'd been better off in the programming career field but believe you have your reasons as to why you're no longer pursuing this.

The IT tech support and network roles are very competitive as a lot of people have these skills and experience in this arena of IT. Best wishes and don't limit yourself eitherway:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

As onoski says, if I were you I'd stick with programming. That way you have much more earning potential and more chance of a varied career.

If I were an employer I would be questioning why you would opt to leave programming for IT support - which could be something that you would interpret as age discrimination. :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IMHO a good programmer is 'ageless'. :biggrin (OK - I'm a programmer and have my bus pass - I may be biased)

However, many good employers value older people as they tend to have a better work ethic than the youngsters!

Certainly I have not had any problems getting work, even at my advanced age.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Hi Onski,

Would it safe to assume that IT support and entry level roles are for the kids? What chance would a 27 year old (With Greying sides!) Have of entering this field then, with no real experience? Honestly? Is the age discrimination that bad in your opinion? :blink

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Ropenfold,

I wouldn't say IT support or entry level roles are for kids as anyone that shows enthusiasm and determination can land a role in IT support as a tech etc.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No, when I started my first full time IT job on a corporate helpdesk there was guys aged 40+ who had retrained. They were just as good as ‘the kids’ and were better at complaining about the amount of calls we had to take in a day! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Pffft... if you can do the job, I don't care how old you are, what gender you are, or what colo(u)r you are... I want you on my team.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

You haven't met me mate, If complaining about call centre call volumes was an olympic sport I'd be a gold medal favourite! :D

I know age discrimination is against the law now but I still worry that an employer can just say 'he wasn't the right person for the job' when really there are more sinister motives and reasons .... :blink

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  11. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  12. Mr-Blue-Sky

Mr-Blue-Sky Bit Poster

Agents don't supposed to ask for your age or DOB, but unfortunately I got asked the other day. Couldn't be bother to argue with him this time around, as I need to find work.

Last year an agent asked my age and I had to tell him the law; Sometimes these agents really push their boundaries.

The newest way for agents to waste our time is an invite into their office, just to get references for a job that usually is made up or they're not going to put you for. This is so they can tell their superiors that they've seen some candidate; brown nosing etc.

As you can tell I'm kinda bitter when it comes to agencies and agents, and always try and go direct to companies as a first choice.

Certifications: BSc Distributed Information Systems
    WIP: MCDST
  13. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Thanks for all replies - I think employers are often just concerned a candidate will fit into their team well - and at the end of the day an older person could fit in just as well, if not more so, than a younger person - it just depends on the specific role - and as Trip says Tech Pubs is an area where the older worker may often have more to offer.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  14. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I have had plenty of discrimination against disability, most of the time its impossible to prove to get anything done. I imagine its the same with age discrimination.

Andi

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  15. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

I did it at 28, so you can do it. I also have BSc and MCDST, so we have a lot in common!!
    Make sure you mention MCP in your CV, a lot of recruitment people don't know what an MCDST is, but they have a notion that MCP=good.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  16. Mr-Blue-Sky

Mr-Blue-Sky Bit Poster

A good tip! Done.
    BTW, I'm coming into my mid-thirties soon and I'm studying the MCDST. However I do have experience from years ago to fall on in my CV.

Certifications: BSc Distributed Information Systems
    WIP: MCDST