Afternoon All

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by thebigman, May 29, 2008.

1. thebigman

thebigman New Member

Hi guys. I'll try to make this short but here's a brief rundown on how I found this site and the help I hope you can give me, and have already given me without knowing...

I decided I wanted to work towards gaining an MCSE certification and after speaking to some sales guy at seeklearning (are company names allowed? Not sure) I was given a price of £2500. I'm struggling for those kinds of funds so didn't just jump at it there and then. I'm glad I didn't as after endless googling I stumbled across this site and found so many answers. Anyway, I thought I'd stop browsing as a guest and sign up.

Like I said, I'd love to work towards an MCSE some day but now realise (thanks to this site) that jumping straight to that would be silly. So I'm going to do my A+ first (self studying) and see how that goes. I've bought the 6th edition book by Mike Meyers that everyone seems to recommend and will see how I get on with the self study route. If that goes well I may go for self study on the N+ as I believe that is the next step recommened. Is this correct?

I've worked in IT for just under 3 years, initally as a COBOL Developer and then moving into a support job for the last year.

Any advice welcome, and thankyou to those who have already helped without their knowledge thanks to their posts.

Cheers guys.

WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Its good that you found out the info on this site. A+, N+ and MCDST is usually the way to go and only when you get more relevant real world experience do you persue higher end cerrts.

And its good that you are self studying instead of being ripped off and overcertified by a company that only wants your cash and not your interests.

good luck

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF

Yes, that's more or less correct (sometimes some people will not do the Comptia certs and jump straight on to MS certs), other certs that you may wish to look at would be the MCDST, Server+ and then move up to the MCSA. I would recommend doing the Comptia certs as the A+ covers hardware (MS certs don't) and the Network+ will give you the underlining knowledge that you'll need when you start to enter the MCSA (especially the 70-291) stage :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good advice given above. Congrats on saving yourself a bunch of money, and sending your career in the right direction!

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!