After The Interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by anniemac, Feb 23, 2008.

1. anniemac

anniemac Bit Poster

Managers (or HR) out there please explain - you go for an interview and get told 'we will get back to you whether you're in or out by 'friday' at the latest' you wait on tenterhooks for a call and nothing happens. Monday comes and you are still waiting and have that sinking feeling. Surely if you are a no they can let you know soonest so you can get going with other applications. An email can't take up that much time. Does this only happen to me:(

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Network +
  2. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

had that happen to me countless times

i consider it pretty rude, as you say it doesnt take that long to let everyone know if they didnt get it, even if theres a lot of applicants

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  3. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Seems they expect you to be telepathic and realise no response means no job. Or that 'by Friday' actually means a distant Friday. If nothing else, they could at least be honest and say, 'if you don't hear from us, we didn't like you.'

Then again, maybe they did actually tell the agent, but the agent couldn't be bothered to pass the message on :x

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  4. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I would not wait for there reply before you start applying for other jobs. The same happened to me also I think it was worst if the job was through an agency. Just have to keep applying you will get there eventually and remember every interview is good experience :biggrin

Certifications: A few.
  5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I agree that I believe it is very rude that they can't at least send a quick email.

As Rob says, keep on applying... it's all good experience.

6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I wouldn't actually wait for a response, I would continue applying for jobs, I'm doing exactly the same now leading up to my interview on Wednesday.

I used to wait for responses but ended up wasting hours, so I just carry on.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If they're short a person, and they're hiring to fill that gap, then they could likely be slammed busy. You're important, but you're not so important that they need to stop EVERYTHING and say "Yes" or "No" to you immediately. Consider... what if they had a network outage? Or an e-mail server go down? Or 14 new employees starting in another department and they had to roll out new PCs and user accounts to every one of them, lest they sit doing nothing while they're busy sending out dozens of hiring/rejection letters? You ought to cut them a bit of slack.

You say it doesn't take a lot of time to create an e-mail - I disagree. It sometimes takes quite a bit of time and effort to craft an e-mail that explains that you ARE hired, or why you were NOT hired... unless they've already got some standard template letters already cooked up. In my experience, most places do not, particularly if IT does their own interview processes (which, optimally, they should).

If you want to get going with other applications, by all means, do so! By no means should you wait on an offer that may or may not come. If they want you, they need to move to get you before someone else does. And if they lose you because you accept another company's offer, well then, that's their loss, isn't it? :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds like they may be waiting for the first choice candidates to confirm, if they decline the job for any reason they may reconsider some of the other candidates rather than going through the whole interview process again.

Also the email server may have gone up in smoke and they haven’t had the chance to phone you yet! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

I been here before :rolleyes:

only take a minute send a group email saying sorry no this time.
    Ever should you think about phone HR! to ask was I lacking skills what were they? The name person in HR is out to lunch At Fu##ing 10:30am :x

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I totally agree with BM on this. recruiting new staff is a very time consuming and arduous task.. it often involves interviews after normal working hours.. the interviews themselves take time out of your normal working day and you can bet that you are up to your eyes in piles of work or you wouldnt be taking on more staff.

They need to contact and have confirmed the people they have chosen to start first.. sending out sorry but you were not selected letters/emails to other potentially good applicants, could be a bad idea. What if the successful candidate declines the offer? Be patient and try and understand the reality of the situation from the employers perspective.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Plus don't forget you're dealing with HR people and recruitment agents - actually getting back to candidates would cut into their nail-filing time! :biggrin

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  12. BosonMichael

Not always. Guys, please don't assume that HR does everything. In most places I've worked, the IT manager him/herself did all the IT hiring.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  13. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree with BM also.

That's true, at our place, while the Head & Business manager would sit in on the interview the final decision would be the IT manager. But like I said at our place :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

In my current (temp contract) job, the local folks wanted me to come on board ASAP, but their decision-making model requires that all hiring decisions go through the CEO and he literally took months to come back with a "yes" decision. Sometimes, everyone wants you but the "yes" decision is bottlenecked somewhere. I was pretty frustrated during that time and imagined all sorts of things because I wasn't aware of all the behind-the-scenes events.

That said, I agree that you should continue to apply for other positions. Nothing is done until they say "yes" (or "no"). Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  15. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Judging from my own personal experience no call from the company on the day they promised means thanks but no thanks. My current role which am in now got the call on the same day I was on my way to another interview and was excited but still sat thru the other interview knowing I've a job offer already.

Well, it sure does few good but the moral of the story is to keep on keeping on and don't wait on nothing until it is a done deal. Best wishes and keep on looking something would come, trust me I've been there so many times I've stopped counting:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  16. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Where I got hired, it was the IT director and IT manager what were making the decision of whether to hire me or not. The HR just had me fill out a few papers and had me signed a few also. However in my case I was the second last candidate as they have already interviewed a few before. So the response was quick, but seeing as now we're looking for a network admin the task of finding someone and getting back to candidates that we think might be the right person for the job is not as easy and fast as it might seem. I would say that waiting for just a few days doesn't necessarily mean that they don't want you or that they do want to, it's just like others mentioned sometimes there's just not enough time.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  17. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Why wait to continue sending resumes/applications to other potential opportunities? Since the company is deciding between you and other candidates, you should consider multiple companies. This would get your name in front of other companies and an opportunity to choose the org that fits you best.

BM & Bluerinse,
    Overall I agree with what was stated… however, the company stated that the applicant would be notified by Friday. If a deadline is established then all bets are off. I can accept 1-2 business days late, but that’s about as much slack as I’d be willing to give. So by Monday afternoon I’d call the contact person at the company to ask for a status.

18. BosonMichael

And again, I'll state: things happen. You've been in IT plenty long enough to know that :)

I am by no means excusing their non-action... I'm simply saying that the reality is that urgent business comes first, THEN things related to hiring, *particularly* if it's just to say "thanks for applying, but we've chosen someone else."

If you don't want to wait, give them a call. More than likely, the employer will simply understand that you are anxious or eager, but there's a small chance they could see you as impatient. Or, if you don't like the fact that they can't keep their word as to when they'll contact you, then don't work for them, if it matters to you that much. :)

19. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Fair enough...
    Then again, I wouldn't say we'll get back to you on a definite date - because I've been here long enough to know "things happen" :)

To keep things safe, my advice is to apply to other companies and call the first company for a status on the 2nd Monday afternoon (1 week & a day later). Although this differs from my initial post, it does show you're not impatient but would like to know how you fared. I believe knowing the reason for not getting a job is very valuable to adjusting your skills where necessary.

20. BosonMichael

Yeah, I wouldn't either... that just sets you up for trouble. At best, I'd say that we'd TRY to get back to them by a certain date (far enough in the future), but no promises.