after MCDST desktop role

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Davidh1819, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Davidh1819

Davidh1819 Nibble Poster

hi

i have recently passed the MCDST and was planning on moving towards MCSA however i only have basic experiance with Active Directory on SBS server 2003 and felt i will be moving running before i could walk in terms of experiance,also i wish to leave my current company in the future and get a desktop role in a larger organisation then move up to server side support any recomendations on the next cert i will be studying for maybe the A+?

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP
  2. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Mate what I'm doing is the 270 its like an upgrade exam from the mcdst that involves little server knowledge, I havent dealt with the server at work so this broke me in fine. Then I'm doing a+ and n+ then hopefully getting a more important job role, Seems like the best option mate.

Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I agree with beau about the 270, and thats definitely worth taking a look at - but if you are limited in what you can do in the current role, then start setting up some virtual machines and start "studying" for the MCSA - don't take the exams, but just get used to what the server looks like and does. It'll teach you something and also give you an idea of how to answer those server-type questions when it comes to an interview.

I agree with you on the cert/experience balance, but I think studying the material and simply playing around with it isn't going to hurt at all - just don't use it to replace proper experience in the interview!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree to also do the 70-270 (client exam), saying that you also have the option for the 70-620 (vista) or the 70-680 (windows 7) exam instead of the 70-270. As you already work with SBS 2k3, you could also aim to do the 70-282, which is aimed at SBS. But it does depend on your experience (whether or not you'll find this exam easy/useful).

-Ken

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security