After MCDST Advice needed

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Davidh1819, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Davidh1819

Davidh1819 Nibble Poster

Hi everyone i have completed my MCDST and i am planning on starting my studies for MCSA next month

i would like your guys opinions on weather this certification is right for me before i begin i have been doing desktop support for 2 years in the same company we have 2 IT guys me and another who is MCSE 3rd line. all i do server side is Active Directory the occasional troubleshooting if know one else is present, our network consists of one server 2003 with 50 domain users in 3 locations.

do i meet the criteria for MCSA?
    is my network to small?
    will it look odd on my CV if i apply for a new desktop job? "" note i have seen desktop jobs advertised stating you must be MCSE""

any advice i will be gratefull

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP
  2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

1st Line roles stating an MCSE requirement are likely to be from idiot recruiters with no idea. I think, 2 years in IT, if anything it will start gearing you towards progressing upwards, so I would get studying but at the same time, try and get more exposure to your server at work. It is a bit on the small side so may not be that much you can learn from it. But any knowledge is good knowledge.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

This.

I'm working on a single site network with 50 odd users (a few more servers than you though...) and my entire objective has been exposure. I have over the last 4 years gone from basic desktop support with a bit of AD to some far heavier server side stuff and I'm now grabbing the certs to back the work I'm doing up.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10