After ITIL Foundation or MCDST - suggested Cert

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by UKDarkstar, Nov 5, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I wasn't quite sure about the title for this thread so if a Mod feels a better one would suit please feel free to change it.

I thought I'd try to focus on an alternative cert which may often be overlooked - the ISEB Certificate in Software Asset Management Essentials

This cert is a nice follow-on from ITIL Foundation as it covers the Software Asset Management (SAM) processes as described in the SAM module within the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL). The qualification also covers the interdependencies between IT Service Management principles and SAM.

The exam has a similar format to the ITIL Foundation in that it can be sat through Prometric and is a 40 question multiple choice exam with a pass ark of 26.

It also lends itself to self study although there is no defined text for it.

So what does it cover ?

In simple terms it covers :

• Describe the objectives and major activities required to implement SAM within an organisation
    • Explain and use SAM techniques and processes
    • Be aware of the support tools and techniques available for the implementation of SAM and be able to indicate how possible improvements can be made
    • Manage software assets through the stages of their lifecycle
    • Prepare and distribute SAM reports and plans throughout the organisation
    • Understand and explain the interdependencies between SAM and other IT and Service Management processes
    • Make more efficient use of software licenses within an organisation and define, produce and analyse measurements and metrics
    • Assist organisations develop effective SAM processes in line with evolving SAM standards
    • Justify and sell the benefits of a SAM initiative.
    • Understand the impact of software ownership, legal risks and non compliance.

You can download the full syllabus HERE

Around 20 hours of study is recommended for the Foundation exam so it could be a simple, and perhaps more unusual, cert to obtain and just may be something to help make a CV stand out a little more. Could also provide a talking point in an interview situation.

Final point - the link to the Microsoft area on SAM is not correct on the syllabus as good ol' MS chop and change their site regularly. Currently the following is the most helpful resource :

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/licensing/morethan250/software-asset-management/default.mspx

.... and, of course, MS have their own licensing exam too ! :p

Hope this is of interest to some of you and may provide that little "extra" to your IT background

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

There is a bit of overlap between ITIL and Prince2. Might be worth looking into the foundation exam, its quite easy (50% required to pass) and it's a well recognised cert. As you are in a management role then most of it will probably be straightforward.

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Thanks but I wasn't looking for recommendations for me. My post was to highlight a lesser known cert to CertForum members

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Oooops sorry!

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma