1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After A+

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by thelonegunman, Jan 28, 2010.

1. thelonegunman

thelonegunman Bit Poster

I will be taking and hopefully passing my A+ before april this year. I was going to then study for the N+ but because of the 3 year expiration of there certs after 2010 i dont think ill bother as i dont think i will have time to study and pass by the deadline.
    After browsing this forum it seams that the MCDST would be a good next step. Would i be right in thinking that the 70-271 is generaly an entery level microsoft cert that most people start with after a+?
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I would advise the N+ next. Personally I found it a lot easier then the A+, probably because it's not full of unrelated facts that need to be memorised.
    I also found the N+ to be useful for the 271, MS assume you know a lot of stuff about DNS, VPNs etc and I think it would have left me confused if I hadn't done the N+ first. It would certainly have taken me longer.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. thelonegunman

thelonegunman Bit Poster

Well taking the N+ next was part of my plan, as im sure is is for most people in my position, its just i have a real problem paying a compTIA £266 for 2 exams every 3 years =) but it doesnt look like i have a choice...?
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if you have a look you will see compTIA have changed their minds. The 3 year expiration rule will now only apply to candidates after 31st december 2010.

Anyone who passes a compTIA cert before then is certified for life.

so go for the N+

see here from yesterday http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread37868.html
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. thelonegunman

thelonegunman Bit Poster

Yes i read the article but as i said i dont think i will be able to start and finish the N+ by the end of the year as i havent even finshed A+ yet. I have a 19 month old dauchter and dont find alot of time to study =)

However i suppose i could just study and take the N+ and never renew it. At least i will always have a record that i did pass. It just would be nice to have it for life.
    You never know they may change there minds =)
  6. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

I can not tell you how useful is the N+, because i work outside of the IT industry(yet).
    But I passed the A+ last Nov, after i took 2-3 weeks break, and i started the N+, and i am already half way trough. I think if you pass the A+ it gives you a good basic idea for the N+(and easy to keep carry on studying).
    My plan is to pass the N+ around March, So it takes i think around 3-4 months( Mostly i learn only in my off days).
    Just an idea, i would think about it.
    Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  7. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

That much better now that you said that bro :biggrin
    I dont need to worry about renewing my N+ now
    Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  8. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

I still need to worry a bit.
    I have to pass first to make myself do not worry about renewing.:rolleyes:
    Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  9. Rosco316

Rosco316 New Member

If you get the chance defo do the net+ route m8 as it will make the core Microsoft exams (I'm looking at you 70-291) a lot easier
    Certifications: CompTIA A+,MCDST,MCSA, MCTS:Win7, 2008
    WIP: Exchange 2010
  10. Col

Col Byte Poster

For what it's worth, I went on to the Network+ straight after A+ and found that they seemed to segue into each other pretty well.
    Certifications: A+ Network+ MCP MCDST MCITP
    WIP: CCENT Security+
  11. IgorT

IgorT Bit Poster

Hi, well in my case i decided to take MCDST after i pass A+, it took me less than to 2 months to finish books for 271 and now just waiting for exam, i' also full empoyed outside IT world and trying to use free time mainly for study, i mean A+ gives you good knowledge base to get on well with MCDST as you learning through very much familiar things that you've done with A+ just bit more in details, i don't know much about N+, it depends where you'd like to see youreslf, for me, i will get certs towards MCSA (gives you server and networking skills too) then Database, where i want to be(mySQL, MCTS,MCITP), so because its i what i want to do, i don't feel i need to go deep into networking doing N+
    Hope that helps..:D
    Certifications: Comptia A+601,602