After a PDA

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DevilsAdvocate, Apr 16, 2008.

1. DevilsAdvocate

DevilsAdvocate Bit Poster

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a PDA at the moment. Don't know alot about what is available as it's the first one i've purchased. Anyone got any suggestions on one? Got a budget of about £200.

Cheers :)

Rob.

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE, Server+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

do you want a pda or a phone?

3. DevilsAdvocate

Just a PDA please. Recently got myself a new phone.

Thanks!

Rob

4. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I went down that road about a year ago. After buying a new phone I then decided I wanted a PDA. After a week of carrying 2 devices I decided on a Blackberry. I should have done that from the beginning.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  5. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I have Palm PDAs for years. For the most part I've thought they were great. However, I heard they've changed there philosophy on the OS. Are they using Win Mobile?

Anyway, like The_Geek said, I didn’t like carrying more than one device. As well, I *need* to sync with my office calendar and the only PDA’s allowed to connect here are Blackberries (InfoSec rule).
    Besides I’ve always liked the Blackberry. :)

6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Personally I'd go for the blackberry curve 8310:) can't wait to get me hands on one of those.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. AuRoR

AuRoR Bit Poster

no no no. go to xda-developers.com. buy something like the htc kaiser with win mob 6. get a cooked rom from

one of the devs. and you will have the most functional device possible. i even edit my webpages / php on mine.

For 200 quid you could get an xda orbit (ebay maybe) which is nice and small with built in gps and wifi (so does

the kaiser actually) but no qwerty keyboard which i like. the 2 above have built in phones obviously to. with

win mob you get powepoint / word / excel and you can get tons of extra progs. Hope this helps.

p.s. you could always get a cheaper pocket pc and flash win mob 6 which is what i have. a lil bit slower but ok. i have the previous version of the kaiser (o2 stellar) which had win 5 and now i have win 6. i did ths because the graphics chipset in the kaiser apparently has bad drivers.

by the way kaiser is o2 branded stellar, previous model is tytn or xda mini. dont wanna get ppl confused

Certifications: GNVQ ICT, Nat Diploma IT Practitioners
    WIP: Head above water
  8. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Im actually after a PDA too. let me know if you buy a decent one!! Ill do likewise.

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  9. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

What are you planning to do with the PDA? Are you after a budget one or high end?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  10. DevilsAdvocate

Well, I mainly want it for keeping track of appointments and jobs I have to do. Would like to use it to play Mp3's while out and about too if possible. I don't want anything uber-excellent, but I don't want something cruddy either!

Rob.

11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

That's why a blackberry curve 8310 would do just well. Best wishes on whichever you decide as the choice is entirely up to you at the end of the day and how much you're willing to spend.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  12. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

I must also recommend the blackberry curve 8310 also, all our team have been given one of these from the company and we all agree they are pretty cool.
    They work fine as an mp3 player, and its easy to navigate around all the features with a quite responsive trackball. You can customise them and really control how you want them to work and there is loads of themes and apps available for them on the web.
    We have rolled out a few hundred at work and none have been faulty so far. I only use mine mainly for email and calender but I can report the phone is very clear. I have never got on with browsing the web by phone but most of my colleagues use the browser and rate it.

8130 gets my vote on ease of use.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  13. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I'm waiting to see if they come out with some decent PIM software for the Nokia N800 myself. It uses WiFi and Skype instead of phone lines for phone calls and will take up to an 8 gig SD card for holding your music. You can also use Google Docs with it if I remember correctly. I just don't like online storage. Here in the US they are about $220 at Amazon.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  14. DevilsAdvocate

The blackberry curve 8310 is very smart looking, but is it only available on contract? I'm not in a position to be tied down to a contract at the moment. I still use a PAYG phone! :(

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys 8)

Rob.

15. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

http://amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/026-3621193-0419607?url=search-alia
    s%3Daps&field-keywords=pda

Those "pda's" look a bit chavy, but the functions seem relevant. Dont forget to read the reader reviews at the bottom, numbers 10 and 11 were the ones i was on about.
    They are cheap, but users seem happy enough *shrug*

16. DevilsAdvocate

This one seems decent - Link

Quite a few on there I like the look of, but some have naff reviews!

Rob

17. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Im actually in the same boat as you mate, i forget stuff all the time and you just need something to keep you in check in re to things you want to just jot down real quick. The one you linked looks great. I think a Blueberry may possibly be overkill (if theres such a thing for PDA's) for the functions you have outlined...i may be wrong?:oops:

18. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

DA,

I've been looking to get a PDA as well but my budgit is even smaller than yours :( Been checking ebay for a few months now waiting for the right bargain to come along, but seeing as this thread is already going I'm gona ask a question here.

Is Microsoft Pocket Office any good as some articles on the net say not? Basically I want to use a PDA as a bit of a database of troubleshooting information that I have collected so when I'm sitting in front of a dead computer I don't have to rely totally on my own brain. I therefore need to have some for of a word processing package on the PDA.

Any thoughts?

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???