advise on whether to do vista client or xp exam

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Tumbolion, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Tumbolion

Tumbolion New Member

Hi i'm new to this site but i'm seeking advise on whether to do the xp client exam or the vista client exam. I am a mcdst.:eek:

2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

What are you working towards? is it for a higher cert or is it just CPD. If it is for a higher cert then go with the requirements for that cert, if it is just I need to do a client cert for professional development then I recommend picking the one you know less about as it will take you longer to sit the exam but you will learn more.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Depends, what takes your fancy? Why not do both? XP will be around for a long time yet (at least until 2014), Vista will be around longer however the uptake for it hasn't been that good (compared to 2000 & XP) and with Windows 7 round the corner...

But like I said, why not do both?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Gareth.Harle

Gareth.Harle Bit Poster

I'm working through the Vista client exams right now. I've done 620 and now onto 622 which is booked for February. I've also done the XP Client exam for my MCSA and can say that I still (and expect I will for a long time) find the XP stuff very useful. My organisation uses XP so of course that makes sense but I'm doing the Vista stuff just for my own benefit really and to gain an extra certification.

You could ask yourself what you work with most and if there are any plans to upgrade, then focus on one accordingly and do the other if you can justify it.

Gareth

Certifications: MCSA, MCT, MCITP:EST
    WIP: Not sure yet
  5. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Agree with what has been said by the above posters. If you only wish to do one, I would look at what is relevant for you and your current career and select that one.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

The best thing to do would be both- but I think XP would be the better way to go. More supported is likely wanted for XP than Vista at this point.

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Exactly this. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Agreed. :)

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  10. Tumbolion

Tumbolion New Member

Thanks guys for all the advise, I am looking to get an mcsa with with sql server. I have been working in It support for about 2 years. My current role is supporting web hosting customers. Would like to eventually be a system engineer.

I bought the sybex books on 70-260 and 70-266 so I am definatley going to take both exams. Why I asked the question earlier is due to the fact that I'm struggling to remember stuff on the 270 when I do the practice exam.

any thoughts.:eek: