Advise much needed please....

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by albertc30, Nov 26, 2008.

1. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello everybody.
    I am in for it and don't know what to do.

I thought that I wouldn't complete my CCNA course that I started at a local college as there were not enough students to carry on with the second and final year of the course. I thought that I had lost £500.00 already. It was really bad when we had found out that the course wasn’t going to run and even worst, now that curriculum 3.1 has got a time span we have to work within that time span.

The problem is that we have got, or better, we have been given an option by the college. To complete CCNA module 3 and 4 in 17 weeks 51hour class when normally it was the same but for each module (ccna 1/2/3/4). We are talking about 11 exams each module along with a final and then the final CCNA 640-802.

The one and only question I have got to ask to all of you out there is this...

Can it be done?

I work everyday, I am strongly motivated and I want and need this certification to move on and to start a career in IT.

Bellow there's the e-mail from the college solution.

My fear is that if I quite now I lose £500.00 but if I do go for it and pay another £500.00 and fail due to the time span that is being given us I will then loose £1.000,00.

Please any advice will be taken onboard and much needed. When I refer to WE I mean myself and 3 more colleagues.

Thanks everyone.
    Alebrt, C

We are now in a position to offer the following solution to this matter.
    We can run a 17 week, 51 hour course for you to offer you the opportunity to obtain cisco parts 3 and 4 version 3.1
    We will run the course for other students too wishing to obtain various parts/modules of the cisco curriculum. All students will be together and the tutor will support all areas of cisco within the same class. As the majority of the assessment for cisco can take place online or remotely we do not consider this to be a problem.
    The course will only run for 17 weeks and there is no guarantee that a further course in cisco will be offered after this one. This means that if you only enrol and pay for part 3 then we will not be able to offer you part 4 in the future. It also means that if you do not complete within the time span we will not be able to offer extra time in order to complete. Also as you know there is an expiry date on version 3.1 which we will need to work within.
    We are not offering this as a 17 week course for each individual module as we did originally, but a 17 week teaching period for cisco.
    All details on the original course leaflet for Cisco are therefore void.
    We will teach you version 3.1 and honour the original price of £250 for each part, but we would need you to enrol and pay so that we can set up the 'class' within our Cisco academy.
    'New' students will be paying the revised 2008/9 price of £475.
    There are not enough students to economically make this course viable and therefore this offer is one that I hope that you will be pleased with, and one that will allow you to complete the qualification that you originally came to Lowestoft College for.
    We are able to start the class within the next two weeks subject to this being acceptable to you and other interested students.
    Please let me know whether the offer is acceptable so that we can let other students know about the class.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I'd be asking for my money back and a definate outline of this course before doing it.

Also you say you need this to get into IT. The CCNA isn't a cert for beginners it's quite an advanced cert and most people will say you need to already work with cisco switches etc before doing it. A bit like people shouldn't be doing the MCSE untill they have the recomended experience.

Are your work wanting you to do it?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. albertc30

No mate, they are not. I have been working with computers for over 12 years now and I am quite confortable working and fixing them, but really networking is my passion hence the CCNA.
    I am also working on my CompTIA A+ and then a microsoft will follow as having the CCNA wouldn't make any sense doing the compTIA Network+.
    I have worked freelance in the past in computer repairs and networking and I must say oh boy, after doing modules 1 and 2 of CCNA I now look back and in all honesty I knew nothing about networking lol

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Ok.

If you are comfortable still handing over your money and hoping the course still goes ahead then go for it, btu if I were youI'd get some clarification on when it'll start and if it's gonna carry on untill the end.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

I was in a similar situation when I was studying for the CCNA a few years ago.I dragged my heels with module 1 & 2 for the first year and a half and then had to do 3 & 4 in about 4 months. IMO Module 3 & especially 4 are a fair bit more advanced topics to grasp. And unless you really understand what you have learned so far, and are willing to give your studies as much time as you can, you may struggle.

The annoying thing about cisco is its really really interesting, but if you dont use it day in day out, you will forget it very fast.

P.S

You only need to sit 1 exam for the CCNA, the others are just to judge on how much of each chapter you are picking up.

WIP: LIFE
  6. albertc30

Hello eveybody.
    It has bee ang time since my last post about this subject, anyway here's some update.
    We are finaly starting the course but under some new rules from the college to which we all have agreed upon.

We must do modules 3 & 4 in the time span of 1 module, this is in 17 weeks, 1 3 hours lesson per week.
    We will pay the old price of £250.00 per module x 2 = £500.00.
    We will have people in the classroom on severel modules at once.
    It will be chaotic I know...
    But at least we have another shot at it.

I am already on module 5 and quite engoying it apparfrom the crappy packet tracer software that keeps crashing like every 5 minutes.

I was working on a LAB with 22 routers using EIGRP and the last time it crashed was when I clicke on save and crash, for my surprise the file now has 0bytes and nothing on it, great.

What a lovely morning I am having.

Anyways you all take care and merry christmas and a happy knew year.

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck on your course :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Yep... good luck with it.

9. albertc30

Thanks everybody, can't wait to get started.

Happy new year to all.

10. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

If I have ever seen a case for pro self study / anti courses this is it.

It sounds like you have been messed around and are basically at the mercy of others here.

Regarddless Hope you obtain your goal and the course is worthwhile.

Best wishes

Kev

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  11. OddBall

OddBall New Member

wow that's amazing. I'm currently doing CCNA and have completed CCNA1 and CCNA2 and I must say I found it enough of a cram to just do one module in that time spam let alone 2!!! Good luck and hope you have a good journal cos you're gonna need it :p

-Odd

Certifications: CISCO: CCNA1 and CCNA2
    WIP: CISCO: CCNA3 and CCNA4
  12. albertc30

Indeed I have been messed around, in fact, we all have.
    Classes have started and I am once again amazed. When we should be on chapter one, the tutor has us all doing VLANning, hello, I haven't even gotten to that point that is like halfway through the book, what is going on here????
    Anyways, dones my first exam, chapter 1 Switching Basics and Intermediate Routing. Went well but I though I'd do better on the exam, but still a pass.
    I am now reving for the chapter 2 Single-Area OSPF and wow man, what a routing protocol. There is alot to it and it is just amazing. I must say, it is quite a chalange but I am getting there.
    If we have to do this all thing, CCNA3 and 4 in 17 weeks, we are talking here an exam every 5 days.
    Thanks guys.

13. albertc30

Yeah will most defenatly need it mate. But I must say that if it isn't for ONE trully big passion about NETWORKING I don't really know how far I would get. ONE must like this to have it done under these terms.
    Cheers mate.