Advice

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Neall, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Hello all.

Ive been thinking about doing some certificates for a while but due to time and money ive put it off.
    I have had about 8 years experience in IT. I am currently self-employed providing IT support for home and business users.
    I would like to gain a certificates for several reasons. I would have something to fall back on. I would have something to show after 8 years of experience and i think it would benefit my business.
    So... i was thinking along the lines of doing my A+, Network+ and Security+, first of all. Then going on to do an MSCE cert. After that i would like to go on to do more security focused certficates.

Now for the questions lol

Does anyone have any advice on what the best path to take is or does the above sound ok?

I would like to do self study as i think it would work out cheaper this way, along the lines of cd or dvd based training. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience on this?

Lastly... How much do the exams cost for the above certificates?

Sorry for the essay :)

Any other advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Neall

WIP: A+
  2. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

Sounds like a good plan to me - the A+ is a good cert to start with followed by N+ and S+ and then MCSE.

As for self paced Learning (CD'S / DVD'S) I would reccomend looking at LearnKey www.learnkey.com or the Mike Myers books/Osbourne with the test prep CD'S for A+, N+ and S+ they are all detailed on the web site. Or ElementK.com for self paced learning.

The cost of exams are:

Comptia:
    A+ are £105.00p
    Network+, Server+, I-Net+, Linux+, Project+, CTT+, HTI+, are £154.00p
    Security+, CDIB+, EBiz+ are £175.00p
    Miccrosoft & MBS are £88.00p

Sarah

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

As said.

:)

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Nothing I can add here, Neall except "Welcome". When you get a moment, please pop up to the New Members Introduction forum and give us a chance to say a proper "hello". :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Thanks for the quick replies. A+ it is first then. Will pop into the the introduction forum soon.

Thanks Again.

Neall

WIP: A+