Advice with A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by pete1, Sep 22, 2008.

1. pete1

pete1 Bit Poster

i have just started self studying for comptiaA+ using mike myers and james pyles books. reading chapter 2 in mike myers about microprocessers and need some advice. this chapter deals alot with the history of the processors,how they work and the different types available, past and present. this i find is alot to take in and need to know if i really need to do so or can i just concentrate on installing them etc.

can the same be said for every chapter when it comes to the history/conceptual parts of them

thanks for any advice available :)

Certifications: ECDL
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You need to know the socket types, package types and levels of cache. You may get lucky and get no questions about CPUs in your exam but I wasn't. So it's best to learn them just in case.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. pete1

pete1 Bit Poster

thanks greenbrucelee looks like i will have to take it all on board. cheers

4. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Hi Pete,

I had exactly the same thing when I hit that chapter (See this post), I was lucky enough to not get any questions on Processors in the exam but you might not be. Also It's very good knowledge to have if your going to be doing pc repair as a profession.

I would recommend reading the chapter through once getting a basic idea of the technology's/architectures and then once you've read all the book revisit that chapter (and any others necessary) to gain an in depth knowledge.

Also read this quote from one of my posts a few chapters after Microprocessors...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  5. pete1

pete1 Bit Poster

hi dullage

thanks for the advice i have taken on board what you said. will make a few notes then revisit later.

just one question - how long did it take you two complete A+

thanks Pete1 :D

6. greenbrucelee

There is no time limit, take as long as you need. Buy some practice exam software from somewhere like Trancender and use those exams to see if your ready.

7. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Exactly what greenbrucelee says, take as long as you need. It took me about 4-5 weeks but I had a good base knowledge before I started studying. It also greatly depends on how long you study each day, I did at least a chapter every day and more at the weekends, I then crammed a few re-reads in just before the exam.

Have a look at my review post for more info on my experience.

WIP: Network +
  8. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

There's a lot of socket types, although no where near as many cpu code names. There's a few here

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  9. greenbrucelee

I suppose learning current AMD socket types and current Intel types would suffice

10. amir_baty

amir_baty New Member

no need that good luck

WIP: A+ (601-602-...)
  11. AArcher

AArcher Nibble Poster

Hi I've finished that chapter and on Memory right now but I can understand how you feel there is so much to take in but how good a tech do you want to be as well! I can't help with how much you need to know for exams etc but it's all good to know ! Mike Meyers is a genius by the way!

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA 2006 A+
  12. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

lol Pete, had this same problem myself. Read the Microprocessors and thought what the hell, I have to memorise all these things? L1, L2 Cache, names, and everything else, I thought that would be difficult, but I wrote certain ones down, and just the main things to try and memorise as much as possible, but unfortunatly I can't, so I just hope I don't get toooo many of those questions lol

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  13. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Some people forget that the A+ is designed to test somebody that has about 6 months experiance in a basic IT role.

So it is understandable that some people will take awhile from scratch.

Just don't rush it.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  14. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

One program I've been using for memorising facts is Mnemosyne. It's really useful. Basically, it provides blank flash-cards. You fill these flashcards with the things you need to learn (processor info, CompTIA acronyms, cmd commands, JPLT L-3 Kanji, etc.) and it helps you learn them. Basically, it works like normal flashcards, but unlike normal flashcards, it's not just a case of drudging through the entire set over and over until you know them. It's not just 10 off the top, or 20 picked at random to test you, or whatever. It's better than that!

What it does special, is it uses 'spaced repetition' governed by a learning/memory algorithm. So based on your previous responses, it'll figure out which cards are hard to remember, and which are easy. The easy ones it'll bury for months - it won't waste your time with stuff you know - wheras the cards you forget will pop up more often. This helps you zero in on the tricky stuff.
    As the difficult ones get easier to remember, you let the program know, and it'll start phasing them down too, so you can focus on new difficult stuff. But then even the easy stuff will pop up now and then just to refresh it in your memory (just like DRAM, huh?!)
    Really helps with motivation too - having to flick through 286 acronyms everyday would be daunting and not a good use of study time - I wouldn't bother. But I put them all in Mnemosyne. The first few days were a bit tricky (you have to go through the whole lot at the start), but thereafter, it's sweet. Today Mnemosyne picked out 24 for me, there are 22 scheduled for tomorrow. 5 minutes tops! Not random, but ones it thinks I need. Ones I do need! Much better.

I'm thinking of putting processor data into Mnemosyne tonight - just new features, speed, and cache - just to help fix the information in my memory. The only other thing I'm considering is screen resolutions.

I'd recommend this program to anyone.

ps. This isn't an advert! This is an absolutely FREE product/research project, with which I have no association! I just think this program is really useful for study! (I use it for Japanese study too)

pps. If anyone tries it out/uses it already, I have the whole set of CompTIA acronyms formatted for it (just a lil' .txt file). Quite happy to share with anyone here who wants it. Could probably PM the entire file. If you want it, lemme know.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nice. I wish I had had something like this a month or two ago... I'm brushing up on my foreign language skills. In fact... I'm currently taking a few minutes' break from testing myself! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. supernova

Nice I found a few apps like these, perhaps a few of us could get together and set up a site to host such card sets?
    I would be happy to provide domain name, hosting and setup wordpress.

I have a few hundred printed cards and the moment for A+ and its unmanageable.
    MCDST I am doing it differently.

Andi

17. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Sounds good.

I'd be happy to PM you my list, if you wanna try Mnemosyne or something. It's just a text file, so I can put it straight as text in a normal post. I've already PMd it out once, so it'd take me a minute max!

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  18. supernova

Okay,

Can you send and i'll try it out. I'll try to get a site up next week, if i feel its worth it.
    I'll convert the stuff i have done.

I'll probably convert the stuff over to several apps that i have found out there.

I also have the entire A+ on printed cards that i'll convert sometime and categorise.

I am just coming to the end of the A+, I need to do MCDST so i'll probably go straight into using software this time.

19. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

that app looks brilliant, just what I need!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10