Advice - What type of job can i get?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Abbid, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Abbid

Abbid Bit Poster

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster,

A bit of background:
    I studied computer science (programming) at uni and graduated in 2005, after a crappy job in a bank, i manged to land my first IT jon in Dec 2006. Tis was a support role for a small company of about 150 employees. When i started, there were 2 of us supporting the company but within 3 months of being there, my collegue left and i was told that he was not to be replaced, so since then i have been supporting the company alone.

I do everything from pc support, to servers, networking and everything in between. Everything to do with the network struture or hardware goes through me, so if the company decides to bring in new software (the most recent being CRM) i have a hand in getting it into the company and rolling it out to users.

needless to say, because i have my hand in quite a few pies here, i have gained exposure to a wide number of technologies.

A year ago i decided to gain some qualifications through my own funding. At the moment i am studying for the A+ (exam in nov).

the salary i am on right now in 13.5k, its lower that i was getting at the bank, but as anyone new to the industry, i needed the experience so i took the job. I have asked the company to increase it now that i have 2yrs exp and will be A+ certified soon but they have made it clear that they will not do so, and they arnt willing to help fund any of my studies.

With the way personal life it at the moment, i need to get more coming coming in so im looking for another job, but my question is what kind of job should i be looking for considering the experience i have currently.

I dont want to do 1st or even 2nd line support since sitting on the phone all day trouleshooting will bore me to death. i want something similar to what i have now where i am more hands on.

Any ideas?

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:), the salary you're on is pathetic to say the least without insult to you. However, location has a lot to do with salary here in the UK so am assuming you're located somewhere in the UK?

I personally would recommend you start looking for a 2nd to 3rd line support type of job involving server and network infrastructure type of work. Since I don't know your dept of knowledge on Active directory and networking I can't really say much in terms of job and salary progression that you should be targeting.

Lastly, I think you can also consider going for the MCSA as well as soon as you finish your A+ as it counts as an elective towards achieving the MCSA. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

It sounds like you've probably gained some valuable experience already and had some responsibility too.

Have you actually tried updating your CV to show what you have done ?

How do you feel about the A+ ? From what you have described I'm not sure this would really be necessary in your case and you may be better off starting on an MCSA which is likely to impact more on your job search combined with your experience.

That salary certainly looks on the low side too for what you're doing so, yes, maybe time to move on.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Teebor

Teebor Nibble Poster

Something like a field engineer or on-site support role sound like what you are looking for? (if you get bored sitting on the phone all day)

I find it difficult to say tbh, if you can find a company who are more interested in experience than qualifications then I don't see a problem improving your income easily.

Or of course pass your A+ then with your experience I would expect you to easily get a job for more money working 1st line support (even though this doesn't interest you, its a handy stop gap)

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA, CCNA, Coupla MCP's
    WIP: CCNP BCMSN, CVOICE, ITIL
  5. Abbid

Abbid Bit Poster

I am in Birmingham. I know the salary in pathetic, but at the time taking a pay decreases for teh experience seemed like a good idea. I guess i still believe it is, but i need it to show some returns now :)

I deal with AD everyday and have pretty much learnt it from playing around with it (and breaking it). I also know group policies, install/config of server 2003.

I recently started looking at roles and there are 1st line roles offering 18k but the description just says support over the phone only, which is not what i want. it has to be hands on.

An other roles that i would like to do require skills that i dont have, the most common being citrix.

to be honest, theres not that many jobs around these days as there were a year ago.

The plan is to do the MCSE after the A+. but at this moment in time, i need more money because i cant afford to live onf 13k anymore!

6. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

I totally agree with Onoski and Ukdarkstar u really need to go for MCSA, add that to your experience and you will definitely will be smoking hot because applyong those skills your employers will actually come to underastand that you are highly indispensable.
    I don't really believe that jobs are hard to come by,with the necessary tools(certifications and skills) and of course you have to market yourself(update your CV) you will be called upon sooner or later. Don't be deterred in any way, what is actually happening right now naturally is as it should be. If you reaaly need to be in the IT sector then you just have to hold on to that job and gain more experience while you try to write your certifications, how can you tell that the next place you will move to is going to be better as regards to your recent status quo. TAKE YOUR TIME! Things will sort out at the right time......

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  7. Abbid

Abbid Bit Poster

Thats exactly what im afraid of. I enjoy what i have right now. i have responsibility. im still learning new things. but the fact that i;ve blatantly been told that there is no where for me to move up in the company and they dont see it happening and no salary increase and no help with further studies really puts me off this place.

Add that to the fact that i have a child on the way and really need to bump up my salary kinda makes my situation on of deperation more than anything else.

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

With the current financial climate it may be best for you to stay where you are just for the time being. Study for the MCSA as has been said and when this financial turmuoil starts to die down then start looking elswhere.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Or start looking else where, but don't start quitting your job until you KNOW you have another, and even then, make sure you know how long they intent to keep you if you do find another.

No Harm in looking, but don't quit then start.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  10. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

thats because you have not given them reason to(performance) thats why they are sounding off like that. Its just one of those "corporate world drama". BELIEVE ME, STRIKE THE RIGHT CHORD AND THEY WILL BE FALLING OVER THEMSELVES FOR YOU. And i must add this; your kid is lucky to have you. DON'T EVER SHOW THEM YOU ARE DESPERATE THEY WILL HAVE YOU FOR DINNER IF YOU DO! take it easy!

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)