Advice regarding job Interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Colloghi, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Well, I got some nice news this month, passing my 70-271 and receving a job Interview for an IT officer within the NHS.

The role Im going for looks great perfect for the kinda role I would love to do at this time , and if Im being honest i was surprised that I got the interview. but meh.

My issue is, one of the reason i want to leave my current role is because, quite frankly the way things are done on the desk....is a joke at times. We have some processes in place, and at times these are more or less ignored, and corners cut.

This includes things like not assigning owners to group mailboxes, shared folders or not even creating groups for shared folders. Although we are a small team, it seems instead of there being a certain way we do stuff, it seems everyone has different views on how we should do stuff like creating accounts etc...................the confusion at times, well..........you can probably work it out. Other things, I feel people just have no idea of why something is happening and just go for the easiet way to get rid of the user.

An example of this, was last week, I spent about 90 mins with a user, due to one of the "ways we do it on the desk" policies. Basically the user was having some minor issues with Outlook, and this resulted in a guy on the desk not investigating the issue and just recreating the outlook profile which caused the user to have worse problems than she did intially.............

On some things, there arnt even processes, and the knowledge base is a joke, just bits of email trails stored away in a shared folder............and mention this to anyone higher on desk and its like hitting your head against a wall. Ive got to the point of using the XP Active Desktop to create a mini knowledge base for myself on one of my personal folders.

My query is......If when asked about my current position, I highlight some of these issues ive come across, do you think this would be seen as me being negative? or as I can see that there are flaws and would like to improve them, could ir also come across as a positive?

The main reason I do want to leave, is I want to pursue my Career and develop my skills..as I said earlier the role seems better than what I had anticipated seeing myself in at the moment. I could progress here in my current employment onto this type of role, but again the way the desk is run here, is also a contributing factor in me wanting to move on.:blink

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Of course they could come across as positive. Just reinforce the fact that you prefer a professional, organised outfit and you're limited to how much you can change in your current position.

This = The answer if they ask you why you're looking to leave your current employer.

I'm sure you'll be fine. They approached you, so they obviously think you have the skills. Make sure you stay relaxed, have a few questions to ask them (for instance about logging of calls ^^) and you'll be fine.

The very best of luck with your interview :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Mate, I support over 400 clients each with a totally different infrastrcuture.

I enjoy it, rather than having to be tied down and have procedures galore, (like at my last place) we can do whatever we want.

An examlpe of this used to be, we had to go through about 20 questions with the user before an engineer would be sent out. If a question was missed, an engineer would not be sent and you would have to phone them back to get it.

Now, I state the facts and an engineer goes out. I suppose the only difference, was that I was second line, now I'm third line.

Pros and cons to both really.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Cheers guys for replying

I understand that you can get bogged down by process, I worked on the NHS national IT desk..........process galore.

"im sorry im rejecting this call because you have done something wrong on the form..........and unfortunately Im not allowed to tell you what you have done wrong, have a nice day" - Lovely process:)

Im not looking really to follow a process by the book, but just having something down would be nice so i can work with it.

Its just on this desk, if someone dosnt know what to do with a call.....then the desk seems to crumble at times. It dosnt help that we dont really have stuff set in stone, and the knowledge base just seems to be a mish mash of email trails collected over the past year or so, or you find out that one person on the desk knows the process for something, but just hasnt bothered informing other desk agents of this, ..............its kinda messy at times:eek:

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Talking in a negative light about your current/previous job is considered a no-no in job interviews. I would refrain from saying anything bad about the current job and instead try to make it clear to them that their offer would help you further your career and improve your skills as you so rightly mentioned.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM