Advice re job roles & offers

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Colloghi, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Hello everyone:)

Im just seeking some advice really, in regards to being offered a role which is asking for experience, you do not know much of.......probably make more sense if i explian my situation:P

Ive applied for job role as IT support, supporting users in active directory, and deskside support,as well as helping a rollout initiative across two sites.

I got a phone call regarding my application, but offering the role of "deployment engineer" instead of, which they ask for experience for something i havnt stated on my cv and know little about. The subject is Ghosting.........I know i should have attempted this before, and ive done back ups, and transferred data from PC to PC etc, but apart from system restore from a ghost image...........i havnt touched it.

I just awaiting the guy to call me back again about the role (he is in a meeting, missed his first call)

Now im confident, i could pick this up no problem, but when something like this happens, is it just a case of they have seen my cv and are confident enough i might be able to do this, enough to warrant a possible interview..,,,,,,,or perhaps i have misrepresented myself a bit on my CV, which im positive i havnt

i guess its just a lack of confidence.................i hope this makes sense in a roundabout way:blink

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you know what is involved with the Ghosting side of things? You may just be given a server which is preconfigured and then you have to boot the new PCs from a boot disk and pick the image. Should not cause too much of a problem. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

They will probably have seen that you don't have the skill written down - but that, form the experience you have written down, you have the ability / mind set to cope with the ghosting.

A new employee is never going to have ALL the skills that the employer is looking for. If they did, then the employer may not want them incase their own job was in danger.

Mention it when you next speak to them - it shows that you are concerned, but happy to do it as long as there is sufficient guidance for it.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  4. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

...and, what he said!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Deploying a computer from a ghost image requires basically the same processes as restoring a system from a ghost image. You've got SID considerations to deal with... but you can typically deal with that using Sysprep or some other system preparation method, then ghosting a baseline image, then deploying that ghosted image to several PCs for deployment.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, I remember having to run a new SID exe before adding the PC(s) to the domain.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Like Leehaa said, employers don't always get the perfect candidate that match the job requirements. They are normally looking for candidates that can do most of the requirements, fit with the existing team, and can learn on the job.