Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Weemez, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Just joined the forum and looks very informative.
    I'm new to IT, completed and HNC in computing at college and now doing my A+ cert. I'm studying through Scheidegger and have taken on a pakage to continue onto N+, CCNA then CCNP. Doing fine so far! I am still trying to get into the IT field and am reluctant to at the moment as i have no hands on experience. How difficult is it for someone in my position to get employment because there seems to be a bit of a catch 22 situation as all job searches i use ask for experience. Do you think i am going down the right road as far as trying to get a good cert that will stand me in good stead for the future?
    Im also 27, will that be a hinderance! Any advice would be much appreciated!

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Firstly, welcome to the site!

Secondly, I have no formal qualifications in IT (not even a standard grade), Although I have a A+ in progress (for about a year now *sigh*). I've just recently managed to secure a contract with an oil company providing service desk support. its only temporary, but its a start.

It can be difficult, at least to start with, but keep going with it. Resubmit your cv to the agencies every couple of months, and/or keep phoning them every week or two. You'll get there in the end!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Thanks mate, can only keep trying! :D

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I think everyone has their own story about how they broke into IT. For me it was a lot of hard work, patience, and the willingness to take low pay in exchange for experience. I got most of my initial experience taking temporary contract jobs that lasted anywhere from a day to three months. Prior to the three month job, I was working a non-IT "slave job" just to make ends meet while I was in school and trying to get experience.

It's not easy and in my case, it was tougher because I was changing careers in middle age. It will eventually work out but even when you get that first full-time job, don't expect it to make you rich. It takes awhile to acquire the education, quals, and experience that will earn you the sort of wage you are probably looking for.

You might try looking at our Employment and Jobs forum here:

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/f22-employment-&-jobs.html

You can read about the various adventures people have had entering into the field. Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Much appreciated my friend :p

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Sorry for not responding sooner to your PM mate, although I feel its best discussed here for all to benefit from the answers anyway, as others have pointed out, age is not a problem, atleast not your age, and provided you stick at it and qualify by learning, not just memorising stats, and can back that up when asked questions, you should do fine, the Cisco track of mid - high level certs are still very highly regarded, and although experiance will get you a decent paid job, you will likely be able to get your foot in the door with that selection of certs.. start out small, temping, contracting, even free work for friends, it will all help to build a CV and demonstrate experiance to employers

Good luck with that, and I hope we can help some more :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Yeh, thats what i thought so i stuck it on this forum aswell, thanks for replying.
    Maybe gonna have to take a risk and give up my full fime job at some point to do, temp or contrat work, there is security in my job but it doesnt have anything to do with what i want to do and im really eager for hands on experience. I'm always trying to get into the ICT department at work as i work in a hospital so with perseverance i wiil get there. Thanks again, always nice to get an experienced opinion.

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Weemez,

Welcome to CF matey. :D
    I, like you have never been employed in IT and desire to be so.
    I am 26 years old so only a year behind you.
    I admit at times I wonder if it will ever happen but this forum is living proof that it does :D

I also take note of what people like Trip, Phoennix, Gav, Mitz and the other staff as they are in the know.

Good luck on your venture- we are both in similar boats :hug

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

...until Marlene finds out ...:biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Good man Boyce, was going to ask how Marlene was doing but was beaten to it!

Sounds as if i wont be stuck for help!

My studies seem to be going ok but dont want to become too content, how many hours are other members managing to put in a week, i said to Scheidegger i would manage 15 hrs a week but not so easy to do that sometimes with other things going on and i dont even have kids yet! :biggrin

11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

No you won't be in need of help- there are lots of us here to help.

I try to put in about 10-15 hours a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. :D

Let us know how you are getting on. :D

12. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Indeed i will.

Cheerz mate! :D

13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I have sent her down the Nags head to cheer herself up :biggrin

14. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

hee hee! :D

15. 808

808 Nibble Poster

i got lucky and got a job as a computer engineer without any certs.i think that becouse i have a genuine interest in computers rather than just moving into i.t just to make money got me the job(i think the guy that interviewed me picked up on this).
    i have seen a few jobs on the jobcentre website that do not require any certs or experience but they are usually minimum wage.if i.t is your thing then it may be worth working for peanuts just to get the experience.
    i had to work for a couple of months for a couple of hundred pounds a week to start but now i can earn a lot more with bonuses now that i have been there a while.
    the main thing for me though is that i get up in the morning and i dont dread going to work becouse i enjoy it.i am finally doing what i wanted to do for years.
    have a look on the jobcentreplus website jobcentreplus.co.uk

there is usually a couple of jobs a month that say no experience required from what i have seen(although this is in manchester so i cant comment on other area's)
    i will keep on looking for you and see if i can find anything.

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: A+,N+
  16. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Thanks 808,
    I think i have a plan if anybody im my area woud be willing to take me on. Soon my job will be regular weekends off so i'm thinking about asking local company's if they would consider me coming into their workplaces say on a Saturday, even a half day to work with them and pick up some experience. I would not consider asking for a wage as the experience would be worth more value to me. Does anybody see any problems with this reguarding the employers legel point of view?

Also im trying to become a premium member, its just that i cant remember certain details from my last address to be able to use my credit card with paypal so bear with me as i just have to find these details out!

17. 808

808 Nibble Poster

Employers are legally bound to pay minimum wage but i am sure they can class it as voluntary work.give me a day or two and I will try and find out for you.

here are a few jobs i found in the manchester area recently

MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE Hours 40 HOURS PER WEEK, MONDAY-FRIDAY, 8.30AM-5PM Wage£12000 PER ANNUM Employer Intec PC Ltd Duration PERMANENT

Description : Experience is not essential. Knowledge of basic assembly and equipment is advantageous. duties include test, repair and assembly of computer related products.

TRAINEE HELP DESK OPERATIVE SKK/73613 LocationSTOCKPORT,CHESHIRE Hours37 HOURS PER WEEK, MONDAY TO FRIDAY, BETWEEN 9AM TO 5PM Wage£10,000 PER ANNUM EmployerD.V.V Solutions LtdDurationPERMANENT

Description : No experience necessary as full training will be given. The ideal candidate will be required to join a successful computer and security team. You will have strong abilities in English and Maths. Previous experience/knowledge of computers would be an advantage. You must have a keen desire to cultivate a rewarding career in the most challenging sphere in computing. Duties will include answering customer telephone enquiries and providing technical support.

this is just a quick search but it shows there are jobs out there for the guys who are just starting out.sites like monster.co.uk and such tend to cater for the more qualified person but the jobcentre has low paid jobs without the need for experience so it is ideal as a way to boost your cv.

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: A+,N+
  18. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Yeh i've checked that out now 808, seems to be a few advertised for my area aswell so will keep cheching that one, thanks.