Advice please

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by dadzaglo, Mar 2, 2011.

1. dadzaglo

dadzaglo New Member

I have applied for a job as a Laptop/desktop Engineer and have been invited for a bench test:oops:.
    Could any one tell me what I should expect as this is my first IT job since my A+ certification?
    Any pointers and words of encouragment are welcome.
    By the way the test is on Friday so I would much appreciate if I could get a timely response.

Certifications: Comptia N+, Comptia A+
    WIP: ccna
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You could be asked anything aslong as they know what your experience level and knowledge is they shouldn't ask you anything above that.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Id say go with whats on the job description, but generally you will be asked re your diagnostic skills (how you approach problems and what steps you'd take to isolate and fix an issue), knowledge on operating systems (using and fixing) maybe a bit of basic networking, such as difference between hub and a switch, how and when to use ping/tracert/arp commands.

Just try to be pepared but make sure you relax and try to be friendly.

Good luck

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

My 1st job in IT was supporting users and desktops, and i had a test/questionnaire.

A few of them i remember was some basic things.

Many many MB's in a GB?
    Set permissions on a network folder/share
    Replace a graphics card
    How would you add a user to an email dist group

But obviously check out your job description list and what sort of tasks, and you'll be able to pull up an idea of a basic scope of tecnologies they'd ask you on - it's normally fairly simple things which show you can do the basics of what the job is asking for

Good luck :thumbleft

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud