Advice please?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by djw, Nov 29, 2010.

1. djw

djw Nibble Poster

I was just wondering what people thought of this:

I saw a vacancy but the salary is not enough. I then get a call from an agency about the same role and I tell them that the salary isn't high enough and I also tell them the minimum I am looking for. They say that the salary for the role is being reviewed and would like to put me forward anyway. I receive a call a week or so later from the agency saying they the company want to see me for an interview, I ask about the salary situation and are told that the company have been told what I are looking for and still want to see me.

Should this ring any kind of alarm bells such as the salary being the minimum I will accept but the maximum the company will offer, therefore future salary increases being impacted? Or the company using a slightly shorter travel ( and therefore reduced travelling costs) as a way of making the salary look better etc.?

Thanks for the help.

D

Certifications: A+, MCDST
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, you can always mention the salary at the interview and see what they say. That'll tell you if the agency is telling porkies.

And you don't have to accept their offer, should they make one that's below your limit. Depends on how badly you want the job - and going for interviews is never a wasted experience.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. djw

djw Nibble Poster

Thanks for the reply. The job looks good and would be half the travelling distance, however I am not sure what they are doing (if anything) to make the salary more attractive. Not sure if this sounds weird but I feel a bit uncomfortable going in completely in the dark about the salary, and it would need to be a significant amount more then the maximum they were originally offering to meet my minimum (and my minimum isn't the highest out there to be honest). I may be completely wrong but they could use the fact that the salary is much higher than originally offered to curtail future increases.

Cheers,

D

Certifications: A+, MCDST
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If they don't pay an acceptable rate for that position, they won't get anyone in there. If they ARE paying an acceptable rate for that position, then you're asking too much. I have no idea which category that employer falls into. However, if they want you AND can afford you, they'll meet your minimum.

Will it impact future salary? It might, and it might not. Again, it all depends on whether they're paying a fair wage for the position. If they don't continue to provide a salary similar to what other companies do, they risk losing you. All that said, it also depends on what they have budgeted for IT. A company can't pay what they don't have... know what I mean?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!