Advice Please

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by anonymous1, Aug 31, 2010.

1. anonymous1

anonymous1 New Member

>>>>??

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You need to have a think about what fullfils your needs and desires.

Now I would love to be in a job like yours, I'd rather have sore knees than get shot :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. anonymous1

anonymous1 New Member

Imagine if you had a video of your life, wouldn't it be really borring to just watch someone sit in front of a screen for there whole life.

Seems rather depressing thinking about it

4. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

How old are you anon?

I agree with your sentiments about life being too short and all that, but has the reason you wanted to be part of IT in the first place been lost in that 2 years?

Is it your motivation thats gone or are you concerned primarily with your physical health?

Its horses for courses obviously, but I know loads of people who would love a sedentary job.
    I have not always been a desk jockey so I know the benefits.

Im with GBL in that, I'd love to be in a position like yours, career-wise.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  5. anonymous1

anonymous1 New Member

Im 18 and a half, I started a job as an IT Technician at 16 and have recently been given a job as an IT manager starting in the next two weeks.

I would say both, I can see/feel my health going down hill and I am not really motivated so much in IT anymore.

I feel that by working in IT you are always providing a service for someone else who is doing something more important using the systems. Maybe I should be that person instead?

It seems depressing to think that I could spend my whole life in front screen.

P.S Whats GBL do?

6. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

I'd say this would depend on your age at present and how important a decent wage is to you?

Does this new I.T Manager position pay well and could you actually afford to join the military.
    You'd probably find the drop in wages to a recruits then privates pay on completion of training financially crippling if you have a mortgage or family to support.

A recruit earns £13,644 per annum. On completion of basic training this rises to about £17,000. With yearly increments thereafter and extra increases on promotion. Choosing a good trade though can see this increased further more quickly.

For example: It is possible to join one of the more technical Corps and leave training as a LCpl earning about £24k a year. The Royal Corps of Signals for example if choosing the correct trade. Check out the Communication System Engineer trade if you still wan't to stay I.T orientated.

Like most walks of life you'll meet some cracking blokes and make friends for life, but it has its measure of oxygen thieves as well.

The reality of the military is a lot different from the rubbish you see on t.v programmes, do your research well. Also if you do decide to join, keep one eye on what career you would like to have when you leave. A lot of employers and general civilian population will be completely oblivious to what you have done whilst serving and will simply assume that you spend your days shooting people, shouting at people or being shouted at.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I am sorry to say this but you're not an IT Manager, not at 18, you might be doing the IT for a fairly small company and being the person in charge of IT but again that's not an IT Managers position.

An IT Manager is someone who usually has years of experience, can handle multiple disciplines (Network, Servers, Mail etc) and has the experience to manage not just the IT equipment but also the staff and budgets.

As far as the forces go, I would say go for it, I spent 10 years in and I don't regret it. It certainly made me a more experienced person (worldly wise) and it let me see a lot of the world. The one thing I would always advise is to make sure you don't lie on your deathbed and have any regrets (well, regrets you can do something about it).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. anonymous1

anonymous1 New Member

>>>>>>

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I did the Army thing, and let me tell you, it's not all the "action and glamour" that you make it out to be. I can't begin to tell you how many hours (even days!) on end I spent guarding a weapons supply room, washing trucks, or picking up trash... and I was in Military Intelligence. :blink The "high action" times were few and far between... most of it was sheer boredom.

That said, I am proud to have served. If you have a love for your country and a sincere desire to serve, by all means, volunteer. But if you're looking for action, you'll either not find it or you'll find it in abundance and likely wish you hadn't.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I've been in IT for 4 years now and yes when you're in charge of the systems you're providing support but that's not how I see it. What I am doing now is work that I need to do in order to get to my goal, I would really enjoy being a network architect, etc... and that's something that takes years of work experience to develop. Hitting senior positions in my eyes becomes a lot more interesting and fun to do and you don't always sit at a screen, I know I don't. I go out for breaks read a book on the subject I am doing and implement it. At the end it really boils down to finding what is about a job that makes you unhappy and working out a way to get around it if possible.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Thread winner.

End of the day, only you can know whats right for you. if IT isn't what you want to be doing then thats a decision you'll have to make yourself. I would say that of course not all IT jobs are created equal, as a for instance in my current roll someone attempting to make a film of my life by pointing a camera at my desk would end up with hours of footage of an empty chair! (and a desk covered in piles of scrap paper but thats a whole other story)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  12. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I think you’re missing the point.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  13. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Sorry just spotted this comment, 'something more important'!?! What I do is vitally important, same with your job I'd expect, without the techs keeping things running (and providing improvements whenever possible) everyone else would be unable to do their job. Its all about how you look at it, I have ULTIMATE POWER and the users are lucky I choose to use my powers for good, rather than rickrolling the entire network cos I'm bored.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  14. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Anon, what I am trying to say is that you are not an IT Manager at 18, not with only 2 years of experience.

You may have been given the title at the place you're working at currently but that in no way makes you an IT Manager in any other company. 2 years of experience does not an IT Manager make, not only don't you have the desired commercial experience but you also lack the experience of someone who has managed other people and has the experience to call upon to deal with the unknown.

I think that you have to take a look at what your life has to offer now and what it is you want from it. You also need to decide what kind of trade you want from the forces, one thing for the forces is that they can offer a great opportunity for those who have an idea of what they want to do, however you also have to be able to fit in with what the forces want from you. Operational tours every year often put a strain on long term relationships and the unsocialble hours can also play havoc with leading a 'normal' life.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am a CTP operator (main job), system builder and provide network support at telecom company but the other two jobs are only part time, I would love to do the network support job full time.

Like I said I rather get a sore back and knees than get shot.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?