Advice Please

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by calitriuk, Nov 17, 2008.

1. calitriuk

calitriuk Bit Poster

hi I am after a little advice, I have used this site before and it directed me to my first job in IT, I got a 1st line position with a retail company we look after nealry 400 users and I have learnt a lot, but there is no training and I am worried that I am going no where fast I have been here now for nearly 10 months, I am certain after much investigation that I would like to get into networking side of things currently study my N+ and then would like to go on to my ccna, we do no networking here I have done some cableing when moving users round and I do backups of the servers but thats it, the training budget has been pulled so no more training, so how do I get into networking side when I complete my N+ I will not be able to use it and as with all IT you really need the experence to get the jobs Im in a bit of a pickle and I want to be progressing im 31 and getting no younger!!! any advice would be very welcome

thanks

WIP: mcdst
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You can ask for more responsibilities at work as you go along, however you may not get paid for it and it then may become part of your normal job tasks. Or start looking around for other jobs, it'll look more favorable once you have 18-24 months of experience, but the choice is yours.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Hello. Pretty soon you will get to understand if you have not alresdy realised that when it comes to IT training you are actually on your own meaning you have to train yourself in order to take the next step forward. I actually dont know how it goes over there but here most if not all organisations find it difficult training their staff, this is because they feel after they have spent their resources to get someone equipped for the job, when you are now supposed to be productive as in apply your acquired skills the person rather opts to move to another firm which of course will pay more than you already earn.

Needless to say, since you are already decided to move into networking and taken up to study N+,then proceed to CCNA i think you are on the right track, but try and grab any experience you can where you alresdy are no experience is awaste no matter how trivial you think it might be, when eventually you decide to move networking-oriented firm you will be no novice in the IT world. Take your time.... cheers

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  4. calitriuk

calitriuk Bit Poster

they really wont give you more work , I have been looking for a new job but trying to get an entry level network job I think are few and far between

WIP: mcdst
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Study fo the N+ whilst carrying on with your job and get some practicing done on your home PC by setting up either a small peer - peer network or use vmware/virtual pc to create a network.

Whilst practicing and studying you will gain some good experience where you can put this experience down on your cv.

Then you could apply for other entry level support jobs that may contain some networking :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?