Advice please

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by hibee, Oct 22, 2006.

1. hibee

hibee New Member

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I would be really grateful if some of you could share your expertise with me.

Let me first of all give you a quick summary of my current situation. I have been working as a printer since I left school seven years ago and although I was happy in this line of work for a while, over the past few years I have become increasingly frustrated with the lack of prospects in the industry.

I recently began exploring various avenues in terms of re-training. Due to shiftwork in my current job, I am unable to commit to a college course/evening class, so have been looking at distance learning options. I received a leaflet from Computeach and started to think a career in IT could be appealing to me. I have since had a course adviser visit me twice. On the second occassion I signed up for a course leading to the MCSE qualification, and paid the course fee of £5250.

Although I still had reservations, the opportunity to escape my current job led me to act in a somewhat hasty way. Now having read some of the reviews of Computeach here, and on other sites, I read the small print on the contract and was lucky to find a 14 day cancellation period existed! I have now activated this clause.

So... the point of my post! I have read a lot of postings on peoples views on self study and realise it is recommended as a convenient and cost-effective way to gain the A+ qualification. However, on most of these posts the person seeking advice has had some experience in IT. I on the other hand have none whatsoever.

Would people still reccomend books such as the Michael Myers one for people in my situation. ie does it take you from the very basics?

Any help would be gratelly appreciated.

2. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF! :)

The Mike Meyers book does teach you as if you don't know what a PC is. The book does explain things very well and uses good illustrations to help you.

Also there is a CD included that has some video tutorials.

What i would recommend is getting hold of a PC to play about with so you can follow the book and then play about with the inside of a PC. This will then give you hands on experience and when entering the field of IT you won't be afraid to get stuck inside a PC. :)

Good luck!

Chris

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  3. hibee

hibee New Member

Thanks Chris, thats just what I wanted to hear.:D

The only other question I would have is, with an A+ qualification but no experience, how attractive would I be to employers? Is there many people out there who have been in a similar situation to myself, gained there A+ qualification through self study and then found it posible to gain employment?

4. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

You would have more chance with a A+ then without.

As for experience... would it be possible to get some at work? for example if you have a IT help desk ask them if you could spend an hour or so a day and shadow them?

Getting experience is what most employers are after and its the hardest to get but with the A+ on your cv and possibly the Network+ if you can get it, would stand out a lot better then people without these. So I'd say it's possible to get an entry level job with these certs and little or no experience.

Not only experience but attitude is another, if you have no experience but come across as someone willing to learn and have the right attitude then you've a good chance!

I managed to get my current job with the help of A+ but i also managed to get a little experience behind my back also.

Hope that helps.. I'm sure some other people can give some better advice. :)

Chris

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix