Advice please. Half passed-half failed.

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by aaforthenow, Jul 1, 2011.

1. aaforthenow

aaforthenow New Member

Hi there. I have been studying for my MCDST for the last 4 weeks. I spent three of those weeks preparing for my 70-271, and managed the pass with 788. Unfortunately I only had around a week and a bit to study and prepare for the 70-272, and get my exam in before the deadline. I actually failed my 70-272 with a score of 608.

I am still certified as an MCP now, but will this cert alone help me gain employment in the world of IT. I have no experience yet, and am hoping to get into a help desk type role.

Also I am planning on taking my CompTIA A+ and MCTIP Windows 7 certs in the next few months.

Thanks for any help and guidance that you may be able to offer me.

2. mcrilly

mcrilly Byte Poster

Firstly congratulations on passing the exam.

We can't say if a certification will gain you a job or not, just as we can't say if a lottery ticket will make you a millionaire. Certifications aren't a first class ticket to a dream job - they're designed to help solidify your knowledge surrounding a particular subject to prove to anyone concerned, such as an employer, that you have a particular skill at a particular level.

Your next step, in my opinion, should be to book the 70-272 again for some near-by future date and give it another pop. In the mean time, get the MCP onto your CV and keep looking for a job.

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, RHCE, & VCP
  3. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Hmmm looks like someone doesn't realise the last day for mcdst was yesterday!

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

No cert alone will gain you employment in the world of IT, so don't feel too bad about it.
    Bad luck in failing the exam though - MCDST would have been nice to have in the future.
    If you failed 272 then there are still gaps in your knowledge and you should concentrate on filling those rather than moving on too quickly. Just because the exam has retired, doesn't mean the material is no longer valid.

Basically, my advice at this stage is to wrap up MCDST allbeit only in your own head.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I wont guarantee you a job but will look better than someone without. I feel the 271 is the better of the 2 and is more helpful for someone working in a corporate enviroment. You should maybe do the comptia and a pity you failed the 272.

The main thing about getting a job is you and your determination. If you just sit back and apply now and again for a job it will take you along time get one, it may still take you a long time to get one even if you are applting for alot. The best thing I can say is get into some sort of customer service role in the meantime.

I havent read you intro so ignore some of this if it doesnt apply.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  6. aaforthenow

aaforthenow New Member

Thanks alot, for the replies and advice. Very much appreciated.