Advice please folks

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by noel123ie, Feb 16, 2010.

1. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Advice please folks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

Ive got mcsa and mcitp enterprise server and find it difficult to remember information as I do not use these day to day. I wanted to do these as a personal goal as was not for a long time due to personal difficulties.

I used server software, books and nuggets to study so have good grounding

Ive msca on cv so im getting all mcsa questions on interviews - obviously I know

Am I better leaving mcsa off and putting maybe 1 or 2 individual certs there as it will:

1 Probably cut down on amount of interviews I get as most look for mcsa/mcse/ccna but I am constantly studing to keep my information fresh

2 I will l get questions at lower level for interviews I do get

What ye think

Thanks
    Noel

Certifications: MCSA Sec+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you don't use those technologies from day to day, then why did you pursue the MCSA and MCITP to begin with? Not passing blame or judgment on you... just curious as to what you expected certification to do for you without the experience to back it up.

The question I have is this - how much and what kind of experience DO you have? The advice I would give would depend on your answer to that question.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I guess it also depends on what kind of work you're doing, there is a difference between the MCSA and the MCITP:SA experience wise.

What kind of interviews are you going for? what kind of work have you done in the past? If you're getting interviews why aren't you getting the job, after all if you get to the interview stage the job is basically yours to lose (they wanted to interview you, it's your answers that persuaded them not to hire you).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

What is it that you want to do in IT?

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  5. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

To reply to posts and just to say thank you for replies

Id like to get a sys admin job working in a windows environment. I currently do level 2 on a helpdesk but dont do much server work

Id like to get to desktop support and then junior sys admin thats the ideal path but things here in ireland are slow so not many opportunities

I understand if I get interviews I have a good chance at job so must be giving answers that are letting me down

Ive a friend who is a sys admin and who does alot of interviews so Im going to get him to give me a mock interview and then he can give me feedback where Im going wrong

On another note after an interview is it a good idea to call the company and speak to the interviewer for feedback- should this be done next day or after HR have contacted to say I did not get job. I would do this to show interest in company for future positions

Thanks all
    Noel

Certifications: MCSA Sec+
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Perhaps it's the MCITP that's causing you the issues, if you haven't done the actualy work (ie got real world experience) people could hold the fact that you have the MCITP against you (after all, like the MCSE the suggestion for the MCITP is for engineers with 12 - 18 months in that kind of role).

I would suggest something like the MCDST rather than the MCSA\MCITP would have been your best route, getting either the MCSE\MCITP further down the road after you actually had the experience.

It should be the agency that provide you with the feedback, you really shouldn't ever contact the company directly, not only could it be embarrassing for them but also for you.

If I were you and I had to go again I would perhaps look at the MCDST and omit the MCSA\MCITP from the CV for the moment, my guess would be that you would get more luck that way.

As far as knowledge is concerned, you should either be able to remember the subject matter or be able to refresh your brain with tidbits. Like everything in life, if you don't use it you lose it. Whilst I have a number of certifications under my belt I sure couldn't pass those exams today, it would be close but because I don't use all of them I forget things but I do know the right area to look.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA