Advice on what exams to do

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Carty, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Carty

Carty Bit Poster

Hey everyone. I'm half way through a "Master CIW Web Design Manager" course with Skills Train (Scheidegger). Unfortunatly, iv only just found this site so am £3500 (ish) lighter already. After reading through the forums and learning CIW isn't exactly the most popular through the UK and the nice man who told me "Il walk into a job" at the end of the course may not be exactly correct, i'm just wondering what other exams i could try to pass with self learning.

These are the exams i have at the end of the course: http://www.ciw-certified.com/certifications/mcwsm.asp

What else would i be best going for to go alongside these? I'm looking to get into the webdesign/networking side of IT. So php/MySQL/ASP/JavaScript/CSS etc etc, im guessing would be sectors i'l have to look at. Along with the networking aspect.

Also i know there could be alot of exams i need to take, so would i be best doing any certain ones at first and continuing my knowlege later on.

Thanks for any help, :)

2. Carty

Carty Bit Poster

No-one?

3. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Hi Carty,

I only just signed in. Read through IT Hurts' original post (it should be in the welcome section), web design is not an area typically covered by exams or at least ones recognised by most employers - which is only to be expected given the nature of the industry.

Your best bet is to study and practice your skills as you learn them - that's what will be of importance in building up your career.

Sorry for not saying more, but I've had a really crap day at work - god I need a break from websites! :x (or rather, the people who want them :rolleyes:)

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  4. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Correction, the thread was in the CIW section. Here's the link

As I've said on that thread (third page?), I've worked in web design and development on and off for years, currently building a new intranet for work - not only have I never studied formally nor taken exams in the industry, it has never come up with any employer or client - generally they have a fairly fixed idea of what they want, and what they look for is someone who can deliver it.

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Carty I can't advise on the CIW as I don't know anything about it.

There are no permanent residents on CF usually people are logged in when they are at work so they can't be reading every thread that comes along however you would get a reply eventually.

You just have to be patient thats all.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. richardw

richardw Nibble Poster

Looking at what is listed on the qualification, youll be wanting to do website design & construction, it isnt networking.
    Web design is more of an 'art' area, so youll need to have a portfolio of work, to show what you can create.
    Youll need a personal site, which will have links to sites youve created/updated etc
    To build up a portfolio, you may have to approach local organisations & offer to do work for them for free. The certification wont mean anything to them, but you need evidence for your portfolio.

Youll also need an eye for design, 2 people i know that are web designers, one was a graphic designer, other was a journalist.

Certifications: MOS (Master), MMI
    WIP: MCAS, AAT
  7. Carty

Carty Bit Poster

Thanks guys, its always a very good think to get such sound advice when your in this sort of position.

Thanks for the advice, i'm just about to read through the topic mentioned and think about everything abit more :)

Yeah, sorry about my impatience, was having a stressfull day with work, im not usually like that. I do appreciate the advice people voluntary give, so please dont think bad of me hehe!

Iv read alot about portofolio work so as you say im starting to try and get mine together, and go from there. Approaching company's and offering voolunatry is something iv been thinking about recently. Luckily my mum and dad have a small company i can get started with, and i know a few local business to approach.

It seems i was very naive to believe the nice man when he came to my house and said "Pass this course and you will walk into a 30k/year+ job. I never actualy believed it to that degree but thought it would set me up better than it obviously will.

You live and you learn lol, its just a very expensive lesson lol.

Thanks again :)