Advice on getting on the IT ladder

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by 23JMZ07, Feb 13, 2011.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

It depends where you work.

In saying that though, what do you do then? on one hand you seem quick to tell everyone who has a success story that it was luck they got XYZ job without experience, and yet you seem to either not work in IT or have skipped the entry level your self.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What is it that you "want to do"? If you want to do techncial IT administration, then an entry-level job (such as helpdesk, although you are certainly not limited to that) is exactly where you should be starting out. You don't start out administering routers and switches... those jobs are given to people who have been in IT for a number of years and have built up a good bit of experience. Certifications aren't going to automagically change that.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

It doesn't really matter what you want to do you have to start somewhere and that's usually at the bottom ie 1st line/helpdesk. I want to be Director of IT for a multinational corporation but I just can't walk into the job just because I don't want to administer servers along the way.

Well, basically none, unless you are really lucky for someone to take you on as a general IT guy to run around doing IT support within the company because you have a higher level cert with no experience.

You mentioned that you like the hands on stuff so why not explore the A+. After that the Network+ and maybe the MCDST (better be quick, it expires on the end of June this year). these would suit you better to start with and give you more chance to get into IT.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685