advice needed

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by joey, Apr 14, 2005.

1. joey

joey New Member

hey guys and gals,

i am near the end of an Nation Diploma in Software Developemnt and i wish to progress on to a Networking Cert but i aint sure wat road to go down. I live in N.Ireland and i have no idea of any test centers or what they offer.

I was thinking of the MCSE or CCNA. I have been able to get my hands on the ebooks for both course but i just dont know what one to focus on or the cost of each one.

I believe that the MCSE can be done in N.Ireland for £800 and the CCNA for £400 not including exam fees.

Or i have the choice of Self Study while working. But what is the timeframe for this to do the MCSE or CCNA

Any help would be great

Joey

Certifications: NONE :(
    WIP: CCNA/MCSE
  2. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

OK Joey, I will try to answer some of your questions, or at least give a bit of guidance. :D

If you want to go the networking route, I would recomend that you do the CCNA. This is obviously more geared towards networking than the MCSE. If you aree interested in becoming a system admin, MCSE is the way to go. Simply put, the CCNA concentrates purly on networking, the MCSE mainly concentrates on the server side of things, with an OS and a little bit of networking thrown in. :D

If you ask me, I think it is more than worth having both certs under your belt, they do compliment each other. The time frame involved for each depends on a number of variables, and each person will take a different amount of time, depending on wether they have chosen self study or a course of some type. The CCNA will be quicker to achieve than the MCSE though, simply because the CCNA is one or two exams, and the MCSE is a total of seven. It is a huge undertaking. :)

Therefoe it is hard to say how long they will take to achieve.

Also, for test centres, check out these sites

www.prometric.com and www.vue.com

they are the two main test providers.

I hope that some of this has helped, and I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to add their opinions.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada