Advice needed

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Leehaa, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

So there is a week left until my end of module Object-Oriented Programming with Java exam.

I've managed to get a couple of intense afternoons study in and, over the last week or so, been writing and then going back through "Q-Cards" (on which i've put the main topics and things that stand out under them).

Today I took a day's TOIL and have been working open book through a past exam paper (purchased from the University, so all legite).

After today I am really concerned that I won't be able to do the exam without my books or a computer (it's all on paper), as I had to refer to the books loads and check some previous code i'd written on my computer.

Anyone got any advice?

My grades for all my assignments have been minimum of 94%, so, really, all I need for the exam is 40% to pass the whole module, but at this rate I'm really concerned i'm going to struggle...maybe that's just me doing my usual perfectionist panicking though)....

...please...someone...sanity - check??

Lee

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'm pretty sure you will pass, I panicked for my OU maths exam but it was ok in the end.

Put the books away and just write as much code as you can.

You should be able to remember code when presented with an example as a programmer, even if on paper.

3. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Thank you for the confidence.

Will keep writing!

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I remember sitting my OU programming exam.
    It was really tough as I recall, because, as you say, writing code on a piece of paper just doesn't come naturally.
    Fortunately, as I recall, they seem to be aware of this and the questions were structured in such a way that there wasn't just tonnes of code writing.

I scraped through mine at the time with a safe margin, but it wasn't my finest performance.
    But as we are so fond of saying round here, a pass is a pass.

Good luck.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

It does seem like it's going to be a toughhie. I'd really love a fantastic mark as like to do things well but, for once, to scrape a pass would be just fine!

When did you take your exam? How did you revise? Did you just keep writing code, or did you have any other tricks up your sleeves? 8)

Next year I'm doing just the one module (been studying two) so there should be a lot more time to get organised and revise well-ahead of any exams!

Thank you!

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Just take it easy, don't rush.

It's strange, I know... When I did my degree for the programming modules, the written test comprised of us writing code on paper (I guess they had to separate the "Project" from the "exam").

I did several modules from 1998 to 2003 (part-time degree) and it was VB, C/C++, Eiffel & Java.

I went over the code that I used in my Project(s)

When I writ code, I kept it simple. Don't over complicate code when you don't have to.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for the advice. Nice to know that you found it strange also.

Do you know, the thing that's actually getting me most nervous is that I've been preparing any code first by creating a kind of template for the import statements and any class headers, declaring instance variables and starting off constructors, method headers plus putting the braces out ready (so not to forget any) and then taking it from there. Usually also compile regularly for reassurance...In this exam you won't be able to do any of that.

...however, been working on some more of the papers just now and started to see that so far, a lot of the code will already be in place and think i'm beginning to get into it a bit more. As you say, it is more about understanding the code thoroughly enough that you can write little snippets of it here and there when asked. So far (cross fingers that there won't be in the exam), there haven't been any requiremets to write anything too large..

...anyway...procrastinating now...better get back to the revision!

8. Kitkatninja

Good luck, let us know how you get on :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  9. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I recall being a bit nervous about the exam I had this summer of a C# course. I hated having to write the code out on paper. I didn't practice it though. I just did some extra exercises from the book we were reading using the IDE, looked back over the quizzes we had done, looked over the code from all the assignments, and looked at the code we had done in class. I was still nervous about the exam but it actually seemed like I may have over studied! I ended up with a high A in the course.

Actually come to think of it I should write some code and do some review I don't want to forget everything I learned in that course while I'm focusing on other things.

Good Luck on your exam!

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  10. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Thanks. Will let you know.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  11. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Took a long time to get the result for this!!

Finally got it today...and passed (wooo!). Can relax a bit now before the next module starts!

Thanks for the advice,

Lee

12. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

When you say writing code on paper, does the code have to be 100% accurate so that it would compile?

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Congrats Lee. I take it what you just did was the OU M255 module? I signed up for it recently and am going to be starting it in Feb next year. Well I will assuming that they process my staff fee waiver, if they don't then I CBA paying for it. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  14. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Thank you!

What gave that away? lol.

Excellent, well you should enjoy it - esp if you get to play with the same objects we got for our course!

...pssst...want some advice??... try to stay ever so slightly ahead as there are parts that seem so easy and then other bits that you will need to take time on. Make sure that when you come to revise for it you refresh yourself with content covered from ALL units - recap on even the simple stuff. Also, if you can make notes in the form of q-cards to summarise each main topic as you work through the course it means you already have a good aid for revision ready for the exam!

would love to know how you get on - have fun! :D

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  15. Kitkatninja

Congrats on the good grade :) What's your next module?

-ken

16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Congrats Lee 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  17. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yes - otherwise, what's the point?

18. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Congrats by the way...

I've just passed my B120. :biggrin

19. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for all the congrats! Feels so good now that I have successfully bitten into the degree! :D

Congrats to you too Jonny!