Advice needed....

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by MarcBaldy, Jul 7, 2007.

1. MarcBaldy

MarcBaldy New Member

Hello All,

I'm so glad I found this website as I must admit I was quite lost when it comes to IT training.

Well this is my problem. I've just left school after my A-Levels and am 100% certain IT is going to be my career, I took some advice from a friend and took a MCDST course up in London, I was naive enough to assume this would be all I need to get straight into some low-level work but alas that didn't happen. So I booked another course (a entry level Cisco one) but the company I booked it through fell through so the place wasn't booked.

I then found a company called UK IT Training, got a interview, and then checked the web for their reputation, and thats how I found this forum. Needless to say I won't be going for that interview on wednesday but now i'm wondering what IT course should I go for next?

I'm not sure what niche i'm going for at the moment as I just want to get my foot in the door in some low-level job. I have some experience in a few decommision jobs, but its been a while since i've had some work.

So what should be my next plan of action?

Thanks alot,

Marc

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

If you read through the forums here you will see our basic position of 'Certs won't *give* you a job'.

Have you gone to see any local computer repairers/dealers for an entry-level (i.e. tea-making) job?

Did you pass the MCDST?

You need a little experience, both to be able to show this in the next job, and to give you some idea of which area of IT you want to specialize in.

And if you want to get more certs under your belt - then we suggest self-study. Much cheaper than paying course-providers!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Marc. Welcome to CertForums. Harry is correct in saying that certifications won't get a job for you. It's a bit like putting the cart before the horse. Certifications exams are supposed to measure what you already know including a certain level of experience. Unfortunately, the certification industry in general markets their products the other way around.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey Marc, welcome.

I agree with Trip and Harry. Basically try your best to learn the material like MCDST or A+ just to have that knowledge and then maybe if you are having trouble finding a job, try doing an internship just to get some experience.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there Marc and welcome to CF 8)

Go and put the kettle on :twisted: :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I concur with everyone except Wizard!

Hello & welcome to CF:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What they said. :)

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!