advice needed regarding Database Administrator career.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by peace786, Nov 18, 2008.

1. peace786

peace786 Bit Poster

Hi

I am not a novice in IT but have no formal ITqualifications. I used to work in finance but due to the credit crunch I have taken a hit and I need a career change. I understand that learning a specific field in IT takes hard work and that I am prepared for.

I want to go into an IT career where there is a possibility of freelance work/self employment as due to my family circumstances I would like to be somewhat in control and work from home if possible and I have heard that a database administrating may allow that.

How should I go about qualifying as a database administrator and what qualifications/certificate will I need. Do I have to slug it our working for someone after qualification or is there a chance to go as a freelances as soon as I get qualified.

Please can someone give me guidance?

p..s are there any other it fields where one can work locum/freelance/self employed?

2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

You seem from your other posts to keep picking an area of IT and then asking how you go about studying for it and getting work in that area.

May I suggest that you list the IT skills that you do have so that we are not answering the same thing over and over again ?

In terms of freelance work i.e. self employed or contract positions, this can apply to any area of IT - it just depends whether there are clients out there who want your skills at the time you want to work.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

There are *many* fields in IT that you can freelance at. In fact most of IT can be done that way.

Your biggest problem in these times is that work will be put out to people with experience, and certs won't count for a whole lot.

At work a whole lot of 'lesser' experienced freelancers have just been let go - only those with lots of experience were retained. :ohmy

By all means go for some certs - but look for work while you do so.

In addition - most places will want to see a new hire in the office for some time before considering home working. The attitude is "If you can't see them then they may not be working!".

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. peace786

peace786 Bit Poster

Hi

I do not have any IT qualifications nor any hard IT skills. I know my way around a computer etc but nothings in terms of software,hardware etc experience.

I would like to move into IT and have been thinkiing about database administrating for a while, I would like to work for myself yet and would like some advice with regards to what people on here would recommend in terms of study and prospects of such work.

5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

What many people don't seem to realise is that home computers have been widely available for 25+ years now, there are vast numbers of people who 'know their way round a computer'.

In my experience less than 1% of IT jobs offer regular work from home work. IT jobs are far more likely to require overtime, travel or living in hotels. You are very unlikely to land a work from home job with less than 3 years experience.

Any job is hard to find during a recession let alone requiring one with specific terms like work from home. Many companies will expect to be able to pay you less because they see working from home as a benefit.

Communication can be a big deal on any project, many companies will not consider home working for this reason alone.

I would only look for a career in IT if its a long term career goal and you are passionate about it.

Harry and Darkstar have also made some excellent points.

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

First thing I'd suggest is that you get to know how databases work.

MSSQL, Oracle, MySQL and Postgres, to name just a few, are all available in personal editions for free. There is extensive documentation on all of them, along with many books.

Download them and experiment with them.

On prospects - nobody will employ you as a DBA without experience. So you need to start looking for entry jobs that will give you that experience.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

TBH, I'd probably still rate you at "novice" level - sorry to sound harsh.

Database administration can be quite a complex and technical subject depending what exactly you mean by "administration" i.e. installing something like SQL Server or setting up queries etc. It won't have much relation to anything to do with messing around with the odd pc.

For home-based work the most obvious choice is probably web design stuff and for that youy need to acquire the skills (all from self study from here http://www.w3schools.com/ ) combined with producing a portfolio of work (try to get in with some small local businesses doing their websites etc).

Outside of that it boils down to experience - perhaps try to get some work at a local computer shop part-time to build up your skills. This can be backed up with studies for A+ and N+. From there you could set yourself up as a PC engineer working from home. Don't, however, expect to make a vast fortune doing this, it's a very competitive market and many people lack the necessary business skills and underprice temselves not realising they're not really making a living.

Aside from that, all the MS certs in the world aren't going to get you freelance work without the necessary experience to back it up. If you're going to do it properly you would need professional indemnity insurance and the insureres will wnat to know your experience in order to provide cover.

Sorry if this puts a "downer" on your thoughts/plans.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You really need IT experience before you go for jobs that mean you can work from home or work for yourself.

Even though you say you are good with a computer unfortunately this doesn’t mean much without certs and more importantly commercial experience to back it up.As for being a DBA I have only seen people move into that kinda role with some IT experience behind them. Not as a first job.

If you want to break into IT you will probably have to do the usual 9-5 (sorry, I mean 24/7!) type job before you can kick back at home and administer a few DBs. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs