1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed on what course to start

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Lanks, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Lanks

Lanks New Member

Hi everyone!

Firstly, i am releived to have found a forum like this. It's just what i've been lookin for, i've been stuck, not really knowing what to do, but hopefully you guys can help me out!! :)

Background info: For my A. Levels i passed ICT, passed A+ and also passed my CCNA (although i got the pass and certificates i never actually went to an external location to get certified:(

I finished my studies in 2007, got a job straight away as an I.C.T Technician. I then continued to learn more about the job and picked up more skills, 8 months later i got another job, again as an I.C.T Technician, still doing the same 1st line/helpdesk side of things, but again i've progressed and picked up things along the way.

Its now been 2 years in the same job, which i very much enjoy and i am thankful for, but i haven't progressed and i want to start reading/learning more. And i feel what i learnt on my CCNA will be forgotten as i haven't been allowed to work on the network/servers.

Could you point me in the right direction of what courses to try and do? I enjoy the "technician" role, but i'm keen to get certified on what i know and also progress into area's i dont, which is mainly server side things.

I have been looking, there is the MCDST, although is there any point as i think that is XP? Would i be better off finding a Windows 7 course. The same goe's for the MCSA, i dont think thats retired, but would i be wise to try and learn Server 2008 over Server 2003???

Any ideas will be so appreciated!!! :D As i;m a bit stuck :blink

Any other info needed, let me know, sorry for the long post!!

Certifications: I.C.T A Level, CCNA and A+